You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-12 00:13:24

Ben9250
Website

Docky not loading at startup

Hi I used to have compiz and emerald start up when I started a gnome session, by having compiz, Gnome-Do, and Docky in the startup applications menu in gnome. After reinstalling my system and doing it again it doesen't startup anymore, compiz and Gnome-Do do, but docky doesen't. The only solution I read so far is for Mint, and requires using some graphical options not in the vanilla Gnome. Has anyone else had this issue.

Thanks,
Ben.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2011-02-12 00:57:47

hokasch

Re: Docky not loading at startup

Works here, what about putting 'docky -v >/path/to/logfile' in startup to get some error messages?

#3 2011-02-12 04:05:44

Ben9250
Website

Just tried but to no avail, it didn't even make a log in my home folder as I told it to. But I started it from terminal and the only thing that flagged up as red was there wasn't networkmanager, because I use netcfg and net-auto-wireless and net-auto-wired.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#4 2011-02-12 13:53:00

hokasch

If it did not even start, all I can think of is a typo/deactivated entry in startup applications... Did you try "startup on login" in docky preferences instead of adding an entry manually

#5 2011-02-14 03:33:31

turvyc

Ok this might be a bit of a stretch, but it's worth a shot.

I had the same problem with Conky a while ago, and the problem turned out to be that it was started too early, so that it somehow didn't load (I forget the whole technical bit, I just remember it was too early).

So the solution was to make a little bash script like so:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 10 && conky &
exit

Then make it executable and point to it in Startup Applications.

Again, a bit of a stretch, but ya never know!

:wq

Board footer