You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-14 19:53:44

h2

Using Gallium Drivers

Hi everyone,

I am new to Arch (2nd day) and kind of not-up-date on Linux, as I have used FreeBSD as my main OS for the last years. I have a Radeon x850XT and want to use the Gallium drivers rather then classic Mesa.

I have read
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mesa_r300g_xorg

and I tried with mesa-r300g-xorg, but that conflicts with packages that are essentiell to almost everything. I haven't found a way to resolve these conflicts and also this package is rather old.

Then again, my DRI claims to bring the Gallium drivers:
extra/ati-dri 7.10.0.git20110206-2 [installed]
    Mesa DRI + Gallium3D r300 drivers for AMD/ATI Radeon

However, setting "r300g" as Xorg driver always fails. Is it that my xorg server does not yet have the proper state trackers? How do I go about this whole thing without completely screwing up my package management?

Thanks for your help!

#2 2011-02-14 21:35:20

Cdh

Re: Using Gallium Drivers

I don't know about ati-dri and gallium but you don't set gallium in xorg.conf.

Either the gallium driver is in the default paths before the mesa classic driver or you have to set the variable LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to the path that contains your r300_dri.so.
For example

export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri_g

In /etc/profile or in ~/.bashrc.
(as opposed to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri" being the default path for mesa classic modules)

At least this is the path that mesa-full-gallium from the inofficial radeon repository puts its drivers in
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79509

I personally would recommend that repository (though maybe not the kernel from there) because they are built from git and should be more recent. But then this maybe introduces new problems.

For this installing problems: yes, pacman sometimes isn't too smart. smile
But it is always possible:
You maybe need pacman -Rd (or -Rdd?) to remove packages without dependency check before being able to install the desired package. You should just be careful that the new packages really provide everything you remove first.

Last edited by Cdh (2011-02-14 21:36:35)

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#3 2011-02-15 15:45:49

h2

Re: Using Gallium Drivers

That helped thanks! I am now running Gallium0.4

Board footer