You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-18 14:56:40

dakiato

NetworkManager daemon starts then immediately kills itself

Hello,

I am running ArchLinux on a Thinkpad T60 and am trying to use NetworkManager to manage my wifi and ethernet. I have the drivers loaded for both as ifconfig -a shows them. I have installed NetworkManager from the kernel.org mirror as well as the GNOME applet for it. However when I attempt to start NetworkManager it with /etc/rc.d/networkmanager start it shows BUSY then DONE as if it is working. However the daemon does not live after that, it just kills itself with nothing left in the dmesg.log or daemon.log. I have all the default settings for this and have setup my /etc/hosts file correctly as well. Both Dbus and Hal are working fine as GNOME launches happily with everything running normally.

Would anyone have any idea why NetworkManager would be doing this?

Thanks in advance

#2 2011-02-18 15:35:49

stlarch

Re: NetworkManager daemon starts then immediately kills itself

You can try to install gnome-panel-bonobo if you don't have it already. And gksu too. Then make sure you add the new group, as root, #groupadd networkmanager, and then, as root also, #gpasswd -a <yourusername> networkmanager. Hope it helps.

#3 2011-02-18 15:56:41

stlarch

Re: NetworkManager daemon starts then immediately kills itself

Also, (I wasn't clear from your post), did you add networkmanager to your daemon array in /etc/rc.conf? You should comment out network and add networkmanager like this DAEMONS=(!network networkmanager). And comment out #eth0="dhcp", and INTERFACES=(!eth0 !wlan0). Do a search for networkmanager on the wiki, there is a page devoted to it.

Last edited by stlarch (2011-02-18 16:51:50)

Board footer