You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-16 08:52:26

marcneander

Gnome-do dbus problem with compiz standalone

Hello smile

I'm new with arch and I've just setup my system and it's coming along very well.

I got some problems though, that me and google just can't figure out.

I use compiz as standalone ontop of xserver. Which seems to work very well. Now, i've followed the guide here in the wiki about how to setup the compix + xserver, so in my .xinitrc file i have this:

exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /home/username/scripts/start-fusion.sh

So when I start the xserver using:

startx

this runs in the start-fusion.sh:

!/bin/sh                                                                                                                                                                         
cd /home/username/
#                                                                                                                                                                                 
eval 'dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session'
#                                                                                                                                                                                 
/usr/bin/X :0.0 -br -audit 0 -nolisten tcp vt7 &
#                                                                                                                                                                                 
export DISPLAY=:0.0
#                                                                                                                                                                                 
sleep 1
#                                                                                                                                                                                 
compiz-manager decoration move resize > /tmp/compiz.log 2>&11 &
# add more apps here
tint2 &
parcellite &
wicd-client &
obmixer &
gnome-do &                                                                                                                                                                     
fusion-icon -f

And when my xserver is up i cannot initiate gnome-do.

when i run:

pgrep gnome-do

I see that it is running. if I kill the gnome-do process and start gnome-do: gnome-do &

I get this:

[Error 09:48:34.455] [SystemService] Could not initialize dbus: Unable to open the session message bus.

I googled that error alot and found that if you write:

dbus-launch gnome-do &

It actually works.

When i put that line in my start-fusion.sh file its the same problem as before, its running but i can't initiate it.

So how in the world should i get gnome-do to start on startx startup?

Best Regards,
Marc

Last edited by marcneander (2011-02-16 08:54:20)

#2 2011-02-16 12:05:49

MorphJet

Re: Gnome-do dbus problem with compiz standalone

Found this on a mailing list archive

in your start-fusion.sh,
change: eval 'dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session'
to: eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax --exit-with-session`

Also the ' should be ` or so i have read, it may work with only this change, never run compiz as a standalone myself smile

#3 2011-02-17 08:37:38

marcneander

Got the same error sad

[Error 09:32:44.307] [SystemService] Could not initialize dbus: Unable to open the session message bus.

#4 2011-02-18 21:13:57

marcneander

Anyone else have any suggestion? I'd really like to start gnome-do on startx startup. Is there any other way i can do it?

Best Regards,
Marc

Board footer