You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-18 23:31:53

~Middle

Xorg: Radeon(0): Acceleration initilization failed

I have been following the Arch beginners guide, and i have gotten to the point of testing Xorg.

When i run startx i get a blank screen and i have to login as root on tty2 and kill the process blindly. then i check the errors with:

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

The errors i get are:

Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exitst,0)
Radeon(0): Acceleration initilization failed

I had installed the xf86-video-ati driver, for my Radeon HD 5870 prior to this.

I am out of luck, google hasn't helped me either.

Thanks a lot.

#2 2011-02-18 23:44:21

karto

Re: Xorg: Radeon(0): Acceleration initilization failed

EDIT: Things are working now. It appears that at some point in my troubleshooting I messed up my .xinitrc... PEBKAC (at least in my case)

I'm having (what appears to be) the exact same problem with a Radeon HD 5850 (same core as the 5870). Installing fbdev will get rid of the error, but X then dies with "xinit: connection to X server lost" (but no errors are displayed or logged).

Apparently it makes no difference if kms is on or off, and neither the radeonhd or catalyst drivers work. Radeonhd doesn't support the evergreen core, so that is unsurprising. As for the catalyst driver, I admittedly didn't try very hard (I'd rather get the radeon driver working).

I've had arch running on this box in the past, but it has been a while (whish I knew exactly when so I could point to a working setup - as it is I doubt I can track down the versions of X etc. that worked). There have been no major hardware changes (a harddisk is probably the only thing), but I might have touched BIOS settings... doesn't look like there is anything suspicious there though.
Earlier today Ubuntu (and Windows) were running fine on the box, but I think Ubuntu used the catalyst driver. If I can't get it solved, I'll look into what works on Ubuntu.[/strike]

Last edited by karto (2011-02-18 23:50:51)

#3 2011-02-18 23:46:17

~Middle

I was chatting on IRC, and they were saying that the beginners guide is incorrect, that it does in fact work, and that we need to install a WM/DE next... so i will give that a try and report back soon!

Glad to know i am not the only one!

#4 2011-02-18 23:52:21

karto

Yea... I had that, but it wasn't loading it due to my messed up .xinitrc.
If things still don't work for you, try installing fbdev again smile

#5 2011-02-19 00:00:56

~Middle

I thought that we didn't need to?

Isn't fbdev a different driver?

#6 2011-02-19 00:06:14

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Can totally ignore the fbdev error. You most likely do not want to use the fbdev driver.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer