You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-25 02:14:34

jery_wang2002

Ugly (non-antialiased) Fonts

Hi,

I am annoyed with Xorg 100/75 dpi fonts that is being used by some sites like this:
http://www.linuxtimes.net/modules.php?n … le&sid=831

I use firefox 1.0.4

In other distro, this does not happen.

And in kcontrol fonts manager, I see a lot of non-antialiased/bitmap fonts scattered and one of them Helvetica which I suspect the site is using it since when I deleted it, firefox crash when I refresh the page. But after reloading firefox the same webpage uses antialiased fonts.

Somehow the ugly (bitmap) fonts gets priority when that webpage is shown. Maybe the webpage uses Helvetica as its fonts.

But I cannot delete all those ugly bitmap fonts, my gnucash needs the bitmap Helvetica fonts and it crashes when I deleted those bitmap fonts.

What can I do?

I never see this kind of problem in Fedora, Ubuntu or Suse. I see similar problem in FreeBSD but it dissapear when I portinstall Xfst.

Anyone had similar problem and maybe some solutions?

Thanks.

Jerry

#2 2005-05-25 02:46:48

ozar

Re: Ugly (non-antialiased) Fonts

The fonts on that page look very good in my Firefox 1.0.4, but to make them look that way, I just go to edit/prefs/general/fonts&colors and check "always use my fonts".  They couldn't look better...   8)

oz

#3 2005-05-25 02:58:54

jery_wang2002

ozar wrote:

The fonts on that page look very good in my Firefox 1.0.4, but to make them look that way, I just go to edit/prefs/general/fonts&colors and check "always use my fonts".  They couldn't look better...   8)

Yes, of course 'always use my fonts' do the trick, but all website will look the same in terms of fonts. Some site use Verdana  and I like verdana, some site use Arial and I like it too.

It just annoy me when something does not work as it is supposed to.

But of course I could do something that prevent it to work. But so far, I only followed the post install in archlinux WIKI.

Thanks for taking time to test.
Jerry

#4 2005-05-25 04:32:52

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

if you remove the helvetica font, you have to recache the fonts.
`fc-config -fv` or something like that. Cant remember the exact command.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-05-25 06:33:27

nggalai
Website

jery_wang2002 wrote:

Err, it DOES work as it's supposed to: The web site asks for Helvetica, hence you'll get Helvetica.

FONT    {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
TD        {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
BODY    {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
P        {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
DIV        {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
/* Tweaks */
TABLE        {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
A {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
IMG {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
FORM {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
TH {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
TR {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}

If you don't like that, you'll either have to define replacement fonts in your Xorg font configuration (http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/XO … figuration right at the bottom) or do the same thing in Firefox. There was something you can do in your userChrome.css or userContent.css file, but unfortunately I lost the link ...

#6 2005-05-26 01:09:44

jery_wang2002

Yep, you are right.

It should work that way. But I don't understand why helvetica is bitmap font and it is not truetype one. I can't check Fedora or Ubuntu. But when I was using it last time, Fedora has a very nice fonts in Gnucash (it should be helvetica) and Ubuntu has not so nice fonts (jagged). Both does not affect the way firefox display fonts. Yes, it's a bit confusing since I cannot give the exact details. I have reformatted both Fedora and Ubuntu and now I am using Arch.

I will try to define font replacement like what you suggest.

I wonder how to make Gnucash to use other fonts. Or whether by overwriting the same helvetica font with truetype will crash Gnucash.

Thanks
Jerry

nggalai wrote:
jery_wang2002 wrote:

Err, it DOES work as it's supposed to: The web site asks for Helvetica, hence you'll get Helvetica.

FONT    {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
TD        {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
BODY    {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
P        {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
DIV        {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
/* Tweaks */
TABLE        {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
A {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
IMG {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
FORM {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
TH {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}
TR {FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 12px}

If you don't like that, you'll either have to define replacement fonts in your Xorg font configuration (http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/XO … figuration right at the bottom) or do the same thing in Firefox. There was something you can do in your userChrome.css or userContent.css file, but unfortunately I lost the link ...

#7 2005-05-26 04:13:05

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2005-05-26 07:05:09

nggalai
Website

jery_wang2002 wrote:

It should work that way. But I don't understand why helvetica is bitmap font and it is not truetype one. I can't check Fedora or Ubuntu. But when I was using it last time, Fedora has a very nice fonts in Gnucash (it should be helvetica) and Ubuntu has not so nice fonts (jagged).

Hmm. Must be a configuration thingy. Helvetica as TT font is copyrighted by Linotype (well, actually the typeface is but no-one seems to bother about the bitmapped fonts) and can't be distributed for free: Helvetica with "normal", italics, bold, and bold italics will cost you about $80.

Would be interesting to know what Fedora has in its fonts.conf ...

#9 2005-05-27 07:06:11

jery_wang2002

nggalai wrote:

I am not too sure about that since I have reformatted Fedora. I never had any problem with ugly fonts in Fedora even with sites that use Helvetica.

The solution like previous poster suggested, i.e. to replace font in local.conf does not work.

Is it because firefox was compiled without certain support? I tried to find any package to related Xft in arch. But there is none. I read firefox can have Xft support enabled. Though I am not sure the effect of enabling Xft.

#10 2005-05-27 08:35:42

arooaroo
Website

nggalai wrote:

It has an alias, so that Helvetica is never actually used, and is substituted with a nice TTF one instead:

<alias>
    <family>Helvetica</family>
    <accept>
        <family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
        <family>Albany AMT</family>
        <family>Arial</family>
    </accept>
</alias>

#11 2005-05-27 08:41:11

nggalai
Website

Hmm, so does Arch ...

<alias>
    <accept><family>Verdana</family></accept>
</alias>

#12 2005-05-27 09:27:16

arooaroo
Website

nggalai wrote:

Hmm, so does Arch ...

<alias>
    <accept><family>Verdana</family></accept>
</alias>

But if Verdana isn't installed, then I expect the alias doesn't hold, and perhaps this is what's going wrong.

Board footer