You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-31 11:03:31

xirus

put some apps in a stable and others in unofficial

after having a lot of problems with setting up apache/php/mysql yesterday (and the first #archlinux question I saw today was about the exact same thing) because the new versions were not exactly compatible with the old ones, and a miscompiled php, I propose the following:

I like having the latest DESKTOP apps a lot, so I want those to come from unofficial

But server apps like ftp, mail, database, server,... should really come from stable for me (and I only have 1 box so my server = my desktop)

I can't imagine it being extremely difficult to add some option in pacman.conf where you can tell pacman not to ignore certain apps like apache, but to use the latest stable version for them so you can keep up with the updates of those versions

#2 2003-10-31 15:38:37

sarah31
Website

Re: put some apps in a stable and others in unofficial

well the problem come in that you could end out with multiple releases of the same application when the idea is to make one package "stable"

would you rather have a debain package data base that has seventeen apache's or one stable full featured apache?

as for a server/stable tree for production machines this is coming. implimentation is not the trouble it is time that is a factor.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-10-31 16:40:09

xirus

Re: put some apps in a stable and others in unofficial

well, the server/production tree would be perfect, and what I'm asking then is to offer the choice for each package: use the unofficial/server/stable/unstable tree

like an option what the default would be (unofficial in my case) and then a list of apps that should be put in another tree (apache, php, mysql,..)

Board footer