You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-17 10:44:13

replax

[SOLVED] makepkg error when making awesome

Hello,

since this is my first arch setup, I might have done some stupid mistakes.
I decieded to install awesome as my WM, because I run Arch on a netbook.
So I grabbed it off the AUR and then installed the cairo-xcb package via "pacman -U cairo-xcb".
I untarred awesome, put it into a dedicated dir and typed "makepkg -s".
It started to make awesome, however, after stating

[ 52%] Built target awesome
make[3]: *** No rule to make target 'themes/zenburn/titlebar/close_normal.png', needed by 'CMakeFiles/generated_icons'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/generated_icons.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [cmake-build] Error 2
    Aborting...

And I couldn't figure out what the error is. Also, multiple Google searches did not really help me so far.
I have all dependencies installed for awesome (at least I think so), i have base-devel installed, i have abs installed, I tried it with my customized makepkg.conf (-march=native and -mtune removed) as well as the standard one and I got a working WiFi setup.

I would be very glad for a pointer in the right direction
Thank you for your time

replax

Last edited by replax (2012-11-06 20:32:05)

#2 2011-02-17 11:46:05

xduugu

Re: [SOLVED] makepkg error when making awesome

Just tried to build awesome and encountered a similar error. Apparently, awesome does not build with cmake 2.8.4, but downgrading to cmake 2.8.3 made it work again. I'll look into this issue and will update the awesome package asap.

#3 2011-02-17 11:49:36

replax

Hello,

thanks for your fast answer!
Do you believe that it is a quick fix or might it take some time?

#4 2011-02-17 12:06:42

xduugu

I had a quick scan in the awesome bugtracker, but since I do not know if this is an awesome or a cmake bug, it might take some time (hope I can fix it during the weekend).
Anyway, I'd recommend you to grab cmake 2.8.3 from arm (i686 x86_64), build the awesome package and then you can upgrade cmake again or leave it at 2.8.3.

#5 2011-02-17 12:07:36

replax

alright, I'll do that then.
Thanks for your help again, much appreciated!

#6 2011-02-18 17:54:13

Nightmare

Hello I am having the EXACT same errors as the original poster. I have decided to wait for an upgrade for 'awesome' as I really want to try awesome WM.
Any way I am new to arch and this is a bit off topic but would like to ask for suggestions of programmes to go with 'awesome' to make it a complete Desktop Environment. I do not want to use KDE or Gnome DE.
Awesome install failed.  After that I installed slim DM. On login it gave an error of 'failed to execute login command'. On google search few of the post I read suggested that it had a problem with 'awesome'. 1 said it had conflict with cairo/xcb library., some other post  said other reasons. I tried 2 solution then removed slim.( I am Just writing this for info I do not expect any solution to be given here for slim.).
Some suggestions about things which will be more compatible with 'awesome'?

Thanks in advance

#7 2011-02-19 10:45:48

replax

Hello,

I'd recommend you to simply downgrade CMake to 2.8.3 and then compile and install awesome, because it takes not much effort really. Also, in case that the error is a CMake error, I can assume that it takes indeed longer to fix.
And you also need to get cairo-xcb from the AUR and compile and install it prior to compiling awesome.

I dont know if it is what you are asking for, but I found that programms such as NetworkManager are compatible with awesome and very useful if you use a Laptop / Wireless connection.

Board footer