You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-20 20:57:48

alexandernst

Removing Akonadi (aka, leaving a clean KDE desktop)

I don't use KMail, KOrganizer, file/folder puntuation/comments nor anything that would require Akonadi, or any kind of storage system, so I'm just wasting X mb of my RAM in something that I'm just not using, and that I don't want running on my system.
Is there any way to remove Akonadi?
I tried -R akonadi, but it depends on kdepimlibs, and those depend on kdebase-workspace, so basically I can't remove a simple thing like Akonadi without removing my entire KDE desktop.

Regards

#2 2011-02-20 21:04:15

Teho

Re: Removing Akonadi (aka, leaving a clean KDE desktop)

Akonadi is started only on demand, so just don't start anything that needs it and remove all the resources from system settings - clock needs akonadi so remember that.

#3 2011-02-20 21:07:55

alexandernst

But why the hell a simple clock would need Akonadi? That's insane :s
Anyways, can I make it stop using Akonadi?

#4 2011-02-20 21:11:37

Teho

Well you would need to find a new clock, the default one doesn't support turning it off. The reason why it depends on Akonadi is that it can show calendar entries.

#5 2011-02-20 21:39:10

alexandernst

Maybe it's time to suggest to the KDE team to make that "dependancy" optional?

#6 2011-02-20 22:15:53

attila

alexandernst wrote:

It is not the KDE team because opensuse at example splits akonadi in a runtime, lib and devel package. Without any kdepim package you can uninstall the akonadi runtime and therefore you don't have anymore of this /usr/bin/akonadi* apps.

I do the same with the original akonadi package from archlinux by removing the files:

make DESTDIR=${pkgdir} install
# remove files
cd $pkgdir
rm -r usr/bin
rm -r usr/lib/qt4
rm -r usr/share/config
rm -r usr/share/dbus-1/services
rm -r usr/share/mime
}

And yes, i don't like the akonadi server too. smile

#7 2011-02-21 10:50:26

Xabre

I've got a feeling that it's not that most people don't like Akonadi: it's more that they mostly don't like how it works right now.
Personally, I think it is a promising technology that has yet to be proven usefull.

Anyway, .config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc

[QMYSQL]
Name=akonadi
StartServer=false

solved it for me.

Just remember that you'll have to search for a KDEPIM alternative in this case, as all (most of) KDEPIM apps now have a hard dependancy on Akonadi, and they just won't work without it.

(Off: we really do need a lightweight kde/qt e-mail client, some people just want to send e-mails, you know smile )

Last edited by Xabre (2011-02-21 10:52:13)

#8 2011-02-21 13:27:19

SanskritFritz
Website

Xabre wrote:

Anyway, .config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc

[QMYSQL]
Name=akonadi
StartServer=false

Thanks for that valuable advice.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#9 2011-02-22 11:49:18

Teho

Xabre wrote:

(Off: we really do need a lightweight kde/qt e-mail client, some people just want to send e-mails, you know smile )

Something like this http://trojita.flaska.net/ perhaps? It was mentioned on planet KDE a while back.

#10 2011-02-22 16:08:15

Xabre

Teho wrote:
Xabre wrote:

Something like this http://trojita.flaska.net/ perhaps? It was mentioned on planet KDE a while back.

Yes, thanks, I've already tried it, and though it seems very promising, it's far too unstable for a productive usage atm. It looks very much like Sylpheed, which I'm currently using, so I would really like to see this develop further to reach a stability minimum (don't get me wrong, I'm a [testing] user, so a few bugs here and there is not an issue, but this one is just a little bit over the edge).

#11 2011-09-12 12:02:52

wojtek

attila wrote:
alexandernst wrote:

It is not the KDE team because opensuse at example splits akonadi in a runtime, lib and devel package. Without any kdepim package you can uninstall the akonadi runtime and therefore you don't have anymore of this /usr/bin/akonadi* apps.

Apologies for bumping relatively old thread but the original question (why forcing kdepim dependency for kdebase-workspace) hasn't been answered. I would love to have quite slim KDE installation (KISS) and having to install and then update packages that I don't need nor use is silly at best.

#12 2011-10-25 21:49:19

eticre

thanks now my arch-kde is cleared from this zombie-invasion-program and iotop output is excellent without disk io.
imho i hope that kde developers kill this beast before they eat all world desktop available resource

Board footer