You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-20 04:18:53

Mike V

Workspace switcher in Gnome

Hi,

I am trying to do an install "ubuntu like" with arch + gnome (so my wife does not get lost since we have been in ubuntu 3+ years) but I am having trouble getting to set the Workspace switcher in Gnome with the effects like ubuntu (the arrows that pop up when you press ctrl+alt+arrow) I know that this is not critical but I really like to have it the most familiar to her.

Thanks for any suggestion..

PD: also would be nice to have the poweroff button in the upper right corner if someone know how it would be great.

#2 2011-02-20 07:07:55

mwknowles92

Re: Workspace switcher in Gnome

To get the Workspace switcher effects you are looking for you'll need to install Compiz.

#3 2011-02-20 12:41:53

Cosmin

To add shut down button: right click on the pannel - add to pannel - Shut Down ...
it is not the same as in ubuntu, but it does the job wink

#4 2011-02-20 13:25:42

Mike V

@mwknowles92: do you know which desktop effect do I need to enable? compiz is already installed but I have been toying around with it and I cant seem to find it. I also try to look in ubuntu for the configuration so I can export it to arch but no success either.

@Cosmin: Thanks, never thought of that

#5 2011-02-21 02:47:43

rotave

Mike V wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to do an install "ubuntu like" with arch + gnome (so my wife does not get lost since we have been in ubuntu 3+ years) but I am having trouble getting to set the Workspace switcher in Gnome with the effects like ubuntu (the arrows that pop up when you press ctrl+alt+arrow) I know that this is not critical but I really like to have it the most familiar to her.

The Compiz plugin is Enable Desktop Wall > Viewport Switch Preview > Show Viewport Switcher Preview
You can also select Show Live Viewport Previews to show a mini live desktop instead of the arrows.

#6 2011-02-22 02:35:44

Mike V

rotave wrote:
Mike V wrote:

Hi,

The Compiz plugin is Enable Desktop Wall > Viewport Switch Preview > Show Viewport Switcher Preview
You can also select Show Live Viewport Previews to show a mini live desktop instead of the arrows.

Thanks you so much for the tip, that was what Ive been looking for, the problem I found is that I wasnt "enabling"  compiz at all I think, I search around the web for the desktop wall and I found this interesting post:

http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~pengw/writing/ … :desk:look

sadly, now I am losing my window borders and the cursors that I have setup revert to gnome's default, now I will try to solve that sad

Board footer