You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-21 19:22:22

HashBox

Connects to Wireless, but no ping to Gateway or Internet? (rt73usb)

Hi guys, I very rarely have any trouble on ArchLinux but last night I was forced to reboot my machine after a hard lock (which I'm not worried about).

When the machine came up again, net-profiles successfully connected to my home network, but upon opening a terminal and pinging, I simply get "Destination host could not be reached". This is to both my gateway (10.1.1.1) and outbound (such as google.com). Dmesg shows nothing of concern (it detects the wireless dongle fine, and associates with the router).

I have tried everything I can think of at this point, I rolled back the kernel to 2.6.36 (from 2.6.37), rolled back the firmware (can't remember the specifics but the package went from 2011 to 2010), ran mkinitcpio etc, all to no avail.

I am using a USB Dlink wireless dongle, which uses the rt73usb driver. Normally it works great.

Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated. Are there any other packages that might effect this behaviour?

Edit: A couple of other things of note; dhcpd times out, I have restarted the router, the router doesn't show my PC in the ARP table despite having associated and set an IP manually (one that has always worked in the past, and no conflicts)

Edit2: Seems to be working again after a power-cut. We will now resume regular programming.

Last edited by HashBox (2011-02-22 10:04:30)

#2 2011-02-21 23:31:49

eldragon

Re: Connects to Wireless, but no ping to Gateway or Internet? (rt73usb)

could you post the following

profile being used?

the output of route

Last edited by eldragon (2011-02-21 23:32:21)

#3 2011-02-21 23:44:06

ewaller
Administrator

HashBox wrote:

...net-profiles successfully connected to my home network, but upon opening a terminal and pinging, I simply get "Destination host could not be reached". ... A couple of other things of note; dhcpd times out, I have restarted the router, the router doesn't show my PC in the ARP table despite having associated and set an IP manually...

It sounds to me like a WPA passphrase issue to me.  With WPA, you can associate to a wireless router without the passphrase, but any attempts to use the TCP/IP stack will not succeed.  That DHCP fails is usually my first clue.  That static addresses don't work either supports this.

When you say that net-profiles successfully connects, do you mean associates? or something else?
I assume your router is using either WPA or WPA2.  If it were WEP, I don't believe it would associate with a bad key.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-02-22 01:44:25

HashBox

@eldragon, do you mean the network profile?

CONNECTION='wireless'
DESCRIPTION='Home Wireless'
INTERFACE='wlan0'
SECURITY='wpa'
ESSID='HOME'
KEY='KEYPHRASEGOESHERE'
IP='static'
ADDR='10.1.1.6'
GATEWAY='10.1.1.1'
DNS('127.0.0.1', '10.1.1.1')

And the output of route:

10.1.1.0     *     255.255.255.0    U    0    0    0    wlan0
default    10.1.1.1   0.0.0.0    UG    0    0    0    wlan0

@ewaller, dmesg shows "wlan0: associated", WPA2 is used, and the key is definitely correct, I have other machines on the network. What you're saying sounds correct though, but it has been working perfectly up until the reboot, so I can only assume that a package has changed the behaviour of the handshake somehow?

I'll post anything else that is required. Thanks for the help so far guys.

#5 2011-02-22 10:02:53

HashBox

Hey guys, thanks for the help, we had a power cut here and after booting the machine again, the network suddenly works fine.. not quite sure what happened there (both PC and router had been power cycled) but this issue seems to be fixed for now at least.

Board footer