You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-22 05:47:42

Convergence

error 15: file not found [solved]

I've found a number of posts on this forum that sound like they are dealing with similar problems, but none of them are quite right.

Just built a new computer, and I have been trying to install arch all day.

The install went without a problem, but then when I booted her up, grub gives me error 15.  I've reinstalled several times using both the UUID and disk by LABEL options, and I get the same error.  At first I had separate /boot and / partitions, but in order to simplify things, I reinstalled with /boot on the root partition.

here are the relevant lines in menu.lst:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-label/rooty ro vga=773  
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

Maybe I should mention that this is an SSD. 

Is there a way to determine WHICH file is not found?  That might make solving this problem a little easier.

Last edited by Convergence (2011-02-22 21:56:11)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#2 2011-02-22 06:19:01

attila

Re: error 15: file not found [solved]

Convergence wrote:

Is there a way to determine WHICH file is not found?  That might make solving this problem a little easier.

If you find out this than say it because that is what i even miss in grub. smile

Okay, but what happens if you use this;

root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-label/rooty ro vga=773  
initrd /kernel26.img

You can do it by pressing 'e' if the grub prompt starts.

#3 2011-02-22 06:41:07

Convergence

just tried it, and I still get the same error. 

By the way, I didn't notice that the "/boot" section was in there, but before I created this thread, when I was still using the UUID method, I saw a thread very similar to this one, where the solution was to delete the "/boot" from each line just as you suggested.  However, at that time, the "/boot" was not there.  menu.lst was created without "/boot" section, so I dismissed that thread as irrelevant to my problem.  Weird that it says that now...

---  William Murderface

#4 2011-02-22 09:54:51

Convergence

i've reinstalled yet again.  I can confirm that the installer writes the menu.lst like you've said.  This time I used ext3 instead of ext4 for /.  I still get the same error. 

In another thread, I saw that someone had a similar setup, and people advised him to reduce the size of his home partition.  My home partition is the same size as his (1 tb).  I know that it is huge, but that partition is ext4 (which should be able to handle it). Besides, I don't think that grub even attempts to mount the home partition.  I think that this happens later in the boot process.  I could be wrong though.

Anyway, as this is new hardware that I'm anxious to test out, I've decided to install ubuntu.  This is temporary, as although ubuntu is a good OS, I prefer arch.  I just need to verify that everything is working as it is supposed to.

---  William Murderface

#5 2011-02-22 10:33:08

Convergence

Ok.  I just finished the ubuntu's mindlessly easy installation, wiped everything (I kept the same partition scheme), and guess what... grub gives error 15!  I give up for now.  I think that I'll unplug my 6 gbps ssd card tomorrow and just try the install with my 3gbs hdd alone.  The weird thing is that using arch's install disk, I was able to mount all of the partitions on the ssd card and verify that the data had been written, so the drive seems to work, but grub can't find it!  It would be really nice to be able to run the OS from that sdd though!

Just to clarify, my partion scheme goes like this...
sdb is the ssd (64gb) and sda is the hdd (1tb)
/dev/sdb1     boot
/dev/sdb2     swap
/dev/sdb3     /
/dev/sdb4     /usr/local    #people think that it's odd that I do this, but it enables me to install games permanently.

/dev/sda1     /home

Last edited by Convergence (2011-02-22 10:35:37)

---  William Murderface

#6 2011-02-22 10:34:02

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Is disk 1 the actual location of your SSD? Error 15 means that the kernel can not be found, this means that you're pointing grub to the wrong disk or partition.

Also see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub

Try with the sdX scheme instead of uuid or label.

Last edited by litemotiv (2011-02-22 10:35:16)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#7 2011-02-22 10:52:03

Convergence

litemotiv wrote:

Is disk 1 the actual location of your SSD? Error 15 means that the kernel can not be found, this means that you're pointing grub to the wrong disk or partition.

Also see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub

Try with the sdX scheme instead of uuid or label.

Disk 1?  I'm a little confused.  The kernel should be on sdb1 if that's what you mean. 

I have scanned it before, but I think that it would be a good idea to enable debugging as per the wiki.  It might help shed some light on this problem.

I haven't gone through the installer with the sdX scheme, but once everything was installed, I've used the grub console to change it to that scheme.  It didn't seem to work, but maybe I'll try it again tomorrow before I give up on my ssd.

I'm beginning to think that recent versions of grub choke on my dual hard drive setup.

---  William Murderface

#8 2011-02-22 20:14:15

Convergence

Question:  Can I change sdb to sda by switching around the cables?  The ssd is sdb, and I wonder if that is the problem.

---  William Murderface

#9 2011-02-22 20:27:15

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Convergence wrote:

Question:  Can I change sdb to sda by switching around the cables?

Yes that should work. Do note that grub will expect hd(0,0) in that case, if your boot partition is sda1.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#10 2011-02-22 21:55:38

Convergence

It booted!  Switching the cables around worked!  (I did make the mistake of not switching the boot order in the BIOS at first)

Thank you folks.

Is it common for grub to choke when root, boot, and grub are installed on sdb rather than sda?

Last edited by Convergence (2011-02-22 22:04:58)

---  William Murderface

Board footer