You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-22 09:10:13

kingguru
Website

How to run xrdb on login

Hi there,

Every time I log in to my KDE 4 desktop, I have to manually run "xrdb ~/.xresources". This has become quite annoying especially since I would think I could find a solution by a quick Google search, but so far without luck.

I have tried putting it into my ~/.xprofile, which happens to run my custom .xmodmap, which works just fine.

Any ideas into what I might be doing wrong? I cannot seem to find any relevant error messages in e.g. ~/.xsession-errors.

Thanks a lot.

Ps. The reason I'm interested in running the xrdb command is because it sets my emacs color scheme, so I might be able to achieve the same by changing my config in .emacs, but it's annoying me a bit that I cannot make this work.

#2 2011-02-22 09:24:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: How to run xrdb on login

I run mine from .xinitrc, if that helps. I don't use KDE though, so maybe it's irrelevant.

#3 2011-02-22 17:57:59

kingguru
Website

Thanks,

I've tried that already without luck. Maybe I should have mentioned that I use KDM as my login manager. It seems like other stuff does get run if I put it in .xinitrc, just not my xrdb command.

#4 2011-02-22 18:12:15

karol
Archivist

kingguru wrote:

Thanks,

I've tried that already without luck. Maybe I should have mentioned that I use KDM as my login manager. It seems like other stuff does get run if I put it in .xinitrc, just not my xrdb command.

Can you post your .xinitrc? Maybe you put the command in the wrong place.

#5 2011-02-23 21:05:10

kingguru
Website

karol wrote:
kingguru wrote:

Thanks,

Can you post your .xinitrc? Maybe you put the command in the wrong place.

It's extremely simple to put it mildly:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
xrdb ~/.Xresources

So I hardly think that's the problem. smile

Is xrdb being used for anything anymore, or is it considered obsolete? As I've mentioned, the reason it annoys me slightly that it doesn't get loaded on when my X-session starts is that I use it configure some Emacs color themes, but I'm sure I could achieve the same if I just configure that in my .emacs. It is my impression that hardly any X programs use xrdb, but I could be very well be wrong.

Board footer