You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-27 19:33:45

securitybreach
Website

Limitations of dual Nvidia GPUs and Triple Monitors

To begin with I have 2x Nvidia Geforce 9800s and three monitors connected to the two cards using the 260.19.36-2 Nvidia driver. I know that I can run Xinerama and have all three monitors working fine, I can move windows between them, etc. The problem with Xinerama is that it can only provide direct rendering too one screen instead of all three, which is fine since I run Xmonad as my window manager and do not use any fancy effects. But today I tried to use XFce4 and everything worked fine except I cannot get any desktop effects like transparent panels, etc.. So I searched around and found that this is a limitation of Xinerama. I know that twinview would work but then I would have one of monitors disabled which is pointless.

So my question is, is there a better alternative for 2 GPUs and 3 monitors than Xinerama? I would rather have each screen act independently except when moving windows between them (seperate X).

I was researching Xrandr and it seems that it cannot use 2 GPUs, so that is out of the question also. Now if I had the money I would just buy a video card that has 4 dvi ports but I do not. I have almost 2.5gb of video ram, yet I have rendering limitations, WTF.

Anyway, if anyone has an alternative or any other suggestions, it would be great appreciated.

Thanks

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
Website      Configs
Forum Admin: Bruno's All Things Linux   
securitybreach<a>archlinux.us

#2 2011-02-27 20:23:52

securitybreach
Website

Re: Limitations of dual Nvidia GPUs and Triple Monitors

If this is in the wrong category, feel free to move it. I was not for sure if this would fall in the Desktop Environments or Hardware/

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
Website      Configs

#3 2011-02-27 22:33:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Fits in Hardware, I'll move it.

And the rendering limitations are strictly about your GPU and the X Stack, Xinerama is your best bet but its deprecated (and quite buggy last I tried). You should probably just give up on having all 3 screens working and with stuff moving between them AND with effects. Choose something to give up.

Of course, you could buy a screen splitter.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-02-28 02:17:44

BurntSushi
Website

Yeah, maybe Matrox DualHead2Go?

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#5 2011-02-28 07:55:55

securitybreach
Website

Thanks for the help but I think I will stick with Xmonad and Xinerama as it work perfectly. I just will not be able to use a different window manager with composite, oh well I do not like extra bloat anyway. I already have 2 powerful video cards and there is no need to spend another $200 on an adapter.

Last edited by securitybreach (2011-02-28 08:02:45)

Website      Configs

Board footer