You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-02 16:57:52

dp
Website

japanese and chinese fonts?

a general question: are any japanese or chinese fonts installed in arch?

i was wondering, because when you open
http://www.distrowatch.com/index.php
and look at the left bottom of the page, you can see Thai, and other fonts, but japanese and chinese (normal and simplified) are shown only as boxes

and kiten, the japanese signs learner also does not work correctly (also only boxes instead of signs)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2003-09-19 03:32:20

hkctr

Re: japanese and chinese fonts?

opti -

Got any hints on getting Japanese to print using cups? I have only been able to print with RH & Mdk which work out of the box and with debian which prints after installing adobe cmap.  Any help appreciated.  Don't need to input Japanese, just need to print is out.

#3 2003-09-19 03:36:35

hkctr

Just had another thought after paging thru a Japanese linux magazine.  Slackware based Plamo has just come out with a new version.  Could any of these packages be used to "do" Japanese?

#4 2003-09-25 12:14:22

scottro
Website

I've only gotten Japanese working with Cups when using OpenOffice

See my page

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

Works in Arch (with Kinput, haven't tried opti's pacakges yet)

I have the fonts uploaded somewhere, think there's a link on the page.  I just copied them over from a Gentoo install.

#5 2003-11-02 00:33:33

hkctr

After trying different things over the course of a couple of weeks and experimenting with several distros, I have managed to get Japanese to print in Arch.  What I did was actually quite simple, I ripped it off of Plamo Linux which also uses ghostscript 7.07.

First I installed Arch's ghostscript. Next I copied all the libVF files from Plamo to /usr/lib, copied Plamo's ghostscript Resource directory to /usr/usr/share/ghostscript/Resource to get the adobe cmaps and copied the fonts to /usr/share/ghostscript. I then edited the gs_rs.ps, lines 247 and 248 to point to the right correct font and Resource directories.  Lastly I changed the print driver to a gimp-print driver and voila!

There may be an easier way but from my research, any solution will need to include; installing vflib, fonts, adobe cmaps and editing gs_rs.ps. This should also work for Chinese, Korean and other character based languages.

Board footer