You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-23 12:15:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Dwarf Fortress 31.18, segmentation fault?

Hi all, anyone else playing this? The only forum posts are from before Nov 15 (the release date of this version). Just want a quick confirmation of an issue before I raise a bug report.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-12-23 21:50:19

hbernier

Re: Dwarf Fortress 31.18, segmentation fault?

The official package has never worked for me, but at least it satisfied enough dependencies that I could download it and run it in a separate directory.

That being said, with all packages up to date as of the time of this post, I ran ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress through gdb. After 'run'ning the debug, I get the following relevant output:

[snip]
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xf7fb9589 in ogg_page_serialno () from /usr/lib32/libogg.so.0

#3 2010-12-23 22:02:33

hbernier

Someone did a backtrace as well, google reveals all.
http://pastebin.com/1GxdxL4v

#4 2010-12-24 00:59:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hi hbernier, yes that's a full backtrace, but it doesn't answer my initial question, which is whether anyone has a working dwarf fortress install smile. I tried downloading from the site, but same error, which is to be expected since the PKGBUILD basically does the same thing (download to a directory and run it).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-12-24 23:59:32

bremarv

31.18 is working fine for me. I have manually downloaded the game from bay12 and i'm using 32bit. I have only had 1 segfault so far, but I haven't bothered playing much due to constant 5 second freezes on my fort.

"As a former philosophy major, it disturbs me to think that things disappear when no one is looking at them, but that's exactly what happens in Python" - Mark Pilgrim

#6 2010-12-25 07:50:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hmm, I'm on 64-bit which would be different I'm sure. It works in wine, so that seems to be the way forward for me now (now to learn to play the game...)

Any 64-bit installs running dwarf fortress native, I'd like to hear about it.

#7 2010-12-25 12:26:14

Anden

Works for me on 64-bit when i run without sound (set SOUND:NO in data/init/init.txt).
I have tried some different settings for the sound in ~/.openalrc, but no luck getting it to work with sound so far.

#8 2010-12-25 16:04:07

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Yes, that's consistent with the bugtrace from earlier which says the segfault came from libogg. Thanks Anden.

#9 2011-01-06 00:06:17

Svenstaro
Administrator

I'm sorry about the recent issues in this package. It has been solved and the responsible persons have been... treated accordingly.

#10 2011-01-06 10:27:58

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Yep, works now, thanks sven smile

#11 2011-01-06 17:24:21

Anden

Ooh, working with sound, nice.
Thanks.

#12 2011-03-03 02:50:23

Chimera

Sorry, not working for me. sad
I've got the same problem everyone seems to have gotten at some point or another: Main index file missing/corrupted. Complains about alsa a bit, but I don't mind turning off sound. Just where the heck is the data directory?
Btw, I'm 64-bit
Thanks for any help, it would be great to get to try this game without wine/virtualbox.

#13 2011-03-03 03:18:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Chimera wrote:

Sorry, not working for me. sad
I've got the same problem everyone seems to have gotten at some point or another: Main index file missing/corrupted. Complains about alsa a bit, but I don't mind turning off sound. Just where the heck is the data directory?
Btw, I'm 64-bit
Thanks for any help, it would be great to get to try this game without wine/virtualbox.

This thread is about a segfault which turned out to be due to ogg libs. Please start a new thread, your issue is totally different.

Board footer