You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-03 00:10:29

xxxxme

[solved] Some Gnome icon themes don't work.

The majority of the icon themes I have in Gnome worked when I used them in Gentoo a few days back.  Now, there are only a few that do.  The rest show either the default gnome icons or some huge and ugly "missing icon" icon for most of their parts.  I've tried installing icon-naming-utils, but that doesn't seem to have affected anything.  What must I do to use these icon themes?

Mod info (because IMO there was a mistake last time): I believe this is not a cross-post because the fix for my other problem did not fix this one.  Please correct me if you believe this is wrong, and please tell me why.

Edit: The "missing icon" icons seem to be mostly for popular programs like Firefox.  The Gnome default ones seem to be mostly for things like "Downloads", "Documents", "Home", "Desktop".

Edit again: Some of these icon themes -are- fairly old, and I wonder if that points to some sort of naming problem, but isn't that what "icon-naming-utils" is for?  Am I going to have to figure out what all the icons should be named myself and rename them?

Last edited by xxxxme (2011-03-03 22:37:33)

#2 2011-03-03 05:55:58

anonymous_user

Re: [solved] Some Gnome icon themes don't work.

The icons for Downloads and Documents are fairly new features so its possible your icon theme doesn't have them. So do you have a link to the themes that do not work (fully)?

Also maybe try newer icons like Elementary, Gnome-Colors, Humanity, etc.

#3 2011-03-03 22:35:15

xxxxme

Re: [solved] Some Gnome icon themes don't work.

That could well be.  In fact, I'm embarassed to admit, I wouldn't have seen those particular icons before because I had those set to specific icons from a newer theme before...  The particular themes you mentioned -did- work.

Thanks for the answer and please forgive the waste of your time.

Board footer