You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-04 01:31:59

wilshire

SHA-256 Integrity file checking

So lets say I have a couple of disks setup in RAID and because I'm paranoid I want to also occasionally check that none of the bits have flipped and would like to use some hashing technique like SHA-256 to insure this.  Is there an easy way to implement this (a tool or script) or is this something I'll have to put together myself.  Does anyone have experience doing this on a somewhat large scale. 

For those interested
*I plan to scan most of my paper documents in the very near future and would like to be able to check integrity of files every now and again and especially just before they get written to tape for offsite storage.

#2 2011-03-04 02:22:01

thisoldman

Re: SHA-256 Integrity file checking

Md5deep in AUR should make this task easy.  It includes md5deep, sha1deep, sha256deep, tigerdeep and whirlpooldeep.

From the manpage:

Computes the hashes, or message digest, for any number of files while optionally recursively digging  through the directory structure.  Can also take a list of known hashes and display the filenames of input files whose hashes either do or do not match any of the known hashes.  Errors are reported to standard error.  If no FILES are specified, reads from standard input.

Last edited by thisoldman (2011-03-04 02:23:08)

Board footer