You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-29 07:23:47

blitze

What the hell has happened?

Both Totem and Rhythmbox are now totally useless on my system with recent updates.  I am not able to view DVD's or play any audio using these tools and also WMF files can't be played.  Everything was working fine until the latest versions of gst-plugins and hal.

Very annoyed and if these issues persist then it will be time to move onto a distro that considers operability when they update their packages.   :x

Leave ones footprint not in the physical world but the in the world of the mind.

#2 2005-05-29 08:12:03

dauphin

Re: What the hell has happened?

blitze wrote:

Very annoyed and if these issues persist then it will be time to move onto a distro that considers operability when they update their packages.   :x

This approach of threatening to take your business elsewhere might be appropriate if you were dealing with a commercial organisation, but such childish foot-stamping is completely out of place here.  It is also likely to be counter-productive when seeking a solution to your difficulties.  Arch is a bleeding-edge distribution produced by enthusiasts for enthusiasts - if you use it, you need to accept that there will be problems from time to time (very few in my experience) and that the maintainers - on whom you rely - will occasionally make mistakes (whether or not they have done so here I have no idea).  You should recognise that any errors which are introduced are invariably sorted out quickly.

As to what's causing your problems, I have no idea.  Have you tried reversing the upgrades and going back to the previous versions?  Why don't you try to work out for yourself what the trouble is?  If you are pretty sure there is a bug, why don't you report it as such rather than throwing a tantrum?

If you decide to storm out of the room slamming the door behind you - go ahead.  It will be your loss, not that of the Arch community.

#3 2005-05-29 09:28:26

blitze

I don't understand why there has been an issue with multimedia under Gnome with the latest upgrades.  I would use other tools but I have grown to like totem and rhythmbox and in the past they have served me well.  I have looked on the forum and there has been other posts listing similar issues.  I can't use OSS sink on rhythmbox even through under the multimedia setup the test proves to be ok.  A reply on a previous post was to change from ASLA to OSS to cure the sound issue under rhythmbox and for me that is not an option.  "Flaky issues with ALSA"  is not a reason for the demise of sound and it has not been an issuie for the last year for me.

The latest gst-plugins seem to have screwed the system really well. Totem will not play a dam thing not only DVD's and I have tried re-installing the plugins, registering and inspecting.

Sound on other programs non GST-reliant seems fine.  I have no idea what gives.

Audio hardware C-Port DSP24 (ICE1712)

ESD also has always been a problem where ARTS just works.  Yet under the Ubuntu Live CD I get ESD working with no problems what so ever.  I have never achieved that under Arch hense my dissapointment.

Leave ones footprint not in the physical world but the in the world of the mind.

#4 2005-05-29 10:16:37

i3839

ESD uses OSS. So you need to use either Alsa OSS emulation or real OSS to get ESD working. With normal Alsa ESD is redundant anyway.

It's clear that the newest gst-plugins update is causing problems for you. Make sure that all packages are updated, so that you don't have a half upgraded system with mixed versions. Try starting one of those broken apps from xterm and look for interesting error messages, that could give a clue. Also try running the stuff with a clean config, as that may not always be backward compatible (instead of deleting it you can move it temporarily out of the way or try with another account, e.g. root with a clean config). Lastly, tried to look on the gst plugins homepage for info about this?

If all this doesn't help then you can always post a bugreport in the bugtracker, there it will be seen by the devs while here it probably isn't.

#5 2005-05-29 10:27:15

blitze

Thanks for the info i3839

Board footer