You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-04 22:17:35

count-corrupt

Experience with Nouveau and XRandR 1.2?

Hi folks,

I just recently switched from an nvidia-powered TwinView dual head-setup to a triple-head that I haven't been able to configure properly yet. Naturally I'm unsatisfied with the performance of Xinerama and now looking to boost my setup. TwinView was really performant but it's out of the question when using more than one card. I tried setting up my monitors with seperate X screens without Xinerama but that seems to confuse XMonad, which will only use the leftmost one. This morning I had the idea to try Nouveau but I won't be home before Sunday night so I thought I'd ask around here. Does anyone have any experience with Nouveau on more than one card with more than two monitors? I'm especially interested in the performance playing together with XRandR 1.2. In Xinerama, I can't even scroll in Firefox smoothly.

From what the feature matrix tells me, everything I need should be supported. All the 2D features, including dual-head using XRandR 1.2 are supported and both chips can be used as secondary cards. But I haven't found many people with triple-heads. Also most posts are about a year old, Nouveau seems to be a pretty active project and success seems to depend highly on the cards in use.

So what is your experience? Is it possible, how's the performance and is there anything to take special note of? Any input is appreciated

Board footer