You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-04 17:00:18

w1ntermute

Removing default entries from GRUB2

Hi,

I'm using GRUB2 with dm-crypt, and there are 3 auto-generated entries in my grub.cfg. I added 2 entries (regular and fallback) that can load my encrypted root partition to /etc/grub.d/50_custom, but they show up at the bottom of my GRUB2 menu. Is there a way to disable the auto-generated entries?

Thanks!

#2 2011-03-04 18:14:40

skodabenz
Banned

Re: Removing default entries from GRUB2

Remove the executable flag (chmod -x <file>) from /etc/grub.d/10_linux and /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen and re-run grub-mkconfig. Also you can always manually edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg .

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#3 2011-03-04 19:43:09

w1ntermute

skodabenz wrote:

Remove the executable flag (chmod -x <file>) from /etc/grub.d/10_linux and /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen and re-run grub-mkconfig.

OK, looks like this works. Will that get reset when the GRUB2 package is upgraded?

skodabenz wrote:

Also you can always manually edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg .

Yeah, but from the wiki page it sounded like using the /etc/grub.d files was a good practice.

#4 2011-03-05 09:08:40

skodabenz
Banned

w1ntermute wrote:
skodabenz wrote:

Remove the executable flag (chmod -x <file>) from /etc/grub.d/10_linux and /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen and re-run grub-mkconfig.

OK, looks like this works. Will that get reset when the GRUB2 package is upgraded?

Yes, it may get reset because of difference in permissions of /etc/grub.d/{10_linux,20_linux_xen} in the package and in the filesystem. You may have to remove the executable flag upon package upgrade.

w1ntermute wrote:
skodabenz wrote:

Also you can always manually edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg .

Yeah, but from the wiki page it sounded like using the /etc/grub.d files was a good practice.

Its your call. I never use grub-mkconfig. I always type /boot/grub/grub.cfg manually.

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

Board footer