You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-04 11:12:10

Archie_Enthusiasm

archlinux on hp dm4t series

Hi guys,

thinking of buying a tablet and putting arch on it. Just curious about whether all tablet functionalities can be supported in arch.... Of couse, the tablet will be delivered with windows on top it which will directly be replaced by arch. have any ideas or experiences of having arch installed on tablet and working with it?

if tablet with arch is not a good choice, i will buy a hp dm4t series hp laptop with fingerprint bluetooth .... I am just afraid of whether I can get all these fancy features of the laptop working properly (at the moment, I am also using a hp pavillion entertainment pc running arch on it. On this, for example, I could not get my remote controller working)

Any ideas which type of laptop I should buy? tablet or normal? which one is the most linux-friendly laptop producer? Do you know where I can order a laptop without any windows on it? don't wanna pay the price for windows!

Thanks.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2011-03-06 11:22:51)

#2 2011-03-04 12:20:54

Awebb

Re: archlinux on hp dm4t series

No one can tell. There are by now so many different tablets on the market, so many different technologies.

I'm not certain Arch is a good choice for a tablet. Image something breaks and you need to switch to a tty to fix it.

#3 2011-03-05 03:18:36

admiralspark

From what I could see when I was compiling the kernel for my Lenovo, few if any of the touchscreens for tablets are compiled in a default kernel, meaning you'd have to attach a keyboard just to set it up, and you'd also have to recompile the kernel with your tablet's drivers checked.
Tablets that ship with Android (samsung galaxy S) will work with any linux, but all require work. Just get the laptop, bluetooth/fingerprinting is supported and has been for awhile.

Team Ignition Kernel Developer
linux-ideapad developer/maintainer
Flame Kernel developer for Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3
Want a cheap, reliable VPS with AWESOME customer service?

#4 2011-03-05 08:05:44

cl10k

I agree with Awebb.

First we have to distinguish between tablets and Pads.
I don't have any experience with pads, but I use a conventional TabletPC for many years now (WinXP based). While Linux as an OS might be a good choice, there are just no alternatives regarding applications. At least for me there is no real replacement for journal and OneNote. I tried xournal, basket and zim and wasn't satisfied. Allthought I would love to run arch on my tablet. Its Pentium M based and a lightweight OS like Arch could greatly improve performance :-(

#5 2011-03-05 08:45:12

Website

To answer your question about which brands are most linux friendly, go for dell and Ibm/lenovo. They both have 100% compatible computers. I know dell ships some systems with ubuntu, dunno about ibm.

Hope it helped

Last edited by 655321 (2011-03-05 08:46:23)

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#6 2011-03-06 11:20:53

Archie_Enthusiasm

At the moment,

I am using HP pavillion entertainment series. Arch works fabulous on it. Since I am very satisfied with HP, I am thinking of buying a HP laptop again. (probably customized dm4t series)

I have heard that ibm and dell are great choices, too. But I do not like the performance/pricing relationship. IBM is way too expensive for its normal components (Intel Dual Core 1,5Ghz, 2 GB of RAM etc...) makes much more than 1000$. Dell is also expensive and is not provided with good components for its price. In my opinion, the HP is the only laptop series producer in the market, where the pricing is pretty much fair for its performance built in it.   

this dm4t series can be built with Intel i7, Dual Core 3,0 Ghz, 8GB of RAM, 1GB of graphics card + all other components including (9 cell batteries etc...) and costs no more than 1500$.

Does anybody have experience with this dm4t series of HP with arch linux on it? I am thinking of buying this. Can anyone please confirm/suggest my opinion?

Sorry, my question is now not really related to Arch linux stuff, but still in a manner of having arch linux on laptop! - Thanks community!

Board footer