You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-08 20:32:36

topher1kenobe
Website

xmodmap woes

I have a little apple keyboard, the tiny one without the number pad, and it's the wired one.  On a previous machine also running arch, I used xmodmap to reset some of the keys that seemed otherwise worthless.

On my new machine here, also running Arch, I can't figure out what's not working.  I have my map commands in .Xmodmap, and then I run xmodmap .Xmodmap.  I check with xev and look at the output of xmodmap -pke and confirm that my changes have been made.

But when I press the key on the keyboard, it has't changed.  Most noticable is the caps lock key.  I'm trying to make it CONTROL_L.  xev says that's what it is now, but when I press it I my caps lock turns on, and I DON'T get a control key.

I don't even know what's broken here, any ideas?

#2 2011-03-10 02:16:18

ryeguy146

Re: xmodmap woes

Are you sure that the .Xmodmap file is ever sourced? I also recall reading that keys have to be cleared prior to assigning new functions. Does your .Xmodmap file include a clear function to the reassigned keys prior to their new assignments? If that doesn't do it for you, I'd suggest posting your .Xmodmap file here so that we can have a look.

Board footer