You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-01 21:11:08

Gullible Jones

How to force quiet overwrites in Rox filer? [workaround]

Rox filer is a nice file manager, launcher, and generally useful application, but it seems to have serious problems copying files. If I try to copy a set of files into a directory containing files with the same names, it will ask whether I want to overwrite for each file, and does not give me the option to silently overwrite all of them, as e.g. Thunar would allow me to. Is there any way to make Rox do this? I tried setting quiet by default for all options, force by default, etc. and it still would ask me every time...

Edit: to answer myself, it looks like it can't be done; this could probably be considered a bug, and it looks like it's been reported upstream already. Fortunately, this resulted in my discovering that Xfe is way better than Rox...

Last edited by Gullible Jones (2011-03-10 22:15:31)

#2 2010-12-02 07:35:40

Simplet

Re: How to force quiet overwrites in Rox filer? [workaround]

I had the same problem, and reported it upstream... still no change. Imho it is a bug.
Now using nautilus/mc anyway ^^

"You feel a strange vibration under your feet."

#3 2010-12-12 00:14:41

Gullible Jones

An update: FWIW I've brought this to the attention of some of the devs via the Rox mailing list, and it looks like some of them are on it. Here's to hoping the fix makes it into the next release.

#4 2010-12-13 00:00:58

sitquietly

Take another look at Rox filer, it may do what you want if you take advantage of the minibuffer to copy files using a shell command.  yikes

I use Rox as a visual / command-line tool, making use of its really useful command line minibuffer.  (I type ";" in any rox window and it opens a minibuffer for typing a command that operates on the current selection). 

I also make heavy use of the minibuffer for browsing through the file system.  I type "/" in any rox window and the minibuffer opens allowing me to edit the path and interactively jump around the filesystem as I type --- it works really well because each "backspace" deletes an entire component from the path AND shows that directory as I continue to type.  For example, moving into a sibling folder can be done with just four keystrokes "/ BS <initial letter> TAB" without moving my hand to the mouse.

The commands for using the minibuffer are configurable of course. ";" and "/" are my own settings to make Rox feel like vim.

Of course using the minibuffer allows you to copy or move any files with "quiet overwrite" by typing, e.g.

;cp -a  $"@"  <dest>

To me, the Rox filer way of interaction is the best of all and as far as I have been able to figure out nautilus and pcmanfm do not offer the equivalent integration with the keyboard such as my rox shortcuts
;   shell command
/   enter path
x  terminal here

#5 2011-03-10 22:10:54

Gullible Jones

Thanks! I didn't know the minibuffer could be used to run shell commands that way, blame me for not reading the manual. hmm It may not be a bugfix, but it's a usable workaround, and then some.

Board footer