You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-05 16:35:16

bergqvistjl

fbsplash fails to load theme

Hi, ive installed Arch Linux on an x64 system, and i'm trying to get fbsplash to work. I followed the wiki and installed everything which i thought was needed (fbsplash, fbsplash-extras and the theme 'arch-black'). I made sure that Arch-black was mentioned in /etc/conf.d/splash and i added fbsplash straight after udev in the HOOKS section of mkinitpcio.conf, and rebuild the image sucessfully, however, on bootup, i get this error at the point where i presume it should be loading the theme: "Failed to load theme 'arch-black'."  arch-black is there under /etc/splash/
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by bergqvistjl (2011-01-05 17:05:03)

#2 2011-03-14 09:22:11

Supergeoff

Re: fbsplash fails to load theme

Hi, I've just faced the same issue.
It's probably because your hardware is using KMS, during the boot and FBSPLASH fail to select the good resolution for your theme.
So I make KMS start earlier in the boot process, that way KMS is launched when FBSPLASH try to select the resolution.
I have an ATI card and the xf86-video-ati driver enable KMS by default. If you also have an ATI card ( or intel but module name should be different ) try this :

Add "radeon" to your mkinitcpio MODULES and re-generate your initramfs. Then add "radeon.modeset=1" to the kernel options in the bootloader configuration file.
Or you should be able to disable KMS with "radeon.modeset=0" in your bootloader configuration that should solve the problem too I didn't test though the first solution solve the problem in my case.

sorry for my poor english

Board footer