You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-18 00:30:27

ethail

Slow "looking up" for domain first time every session in firefox 4 RC1

I hope I posted this on the correct site, because I was doubting on whether post it here or on the networking subforum (or even another place I didn't thought about).

Every time I launch firefox 4 (using AUR's firefox-pgo-beta 4.0rc1build1-3) and use it to search any website, lets say google.com (yes, what is going to be described happens even with google) firefox is "looking up for google" for like 5 or so seconds. After that, the page loads fast, no problem with speed.

But this happens only the first time I load any website, if I load it again without closing FF, it will load fast, without that 5 sec delay.

What drives me lets say crazy is that this does NOT happen with: Chromium, Firefox(3.6) used in a VirtualMachine (everything said until this point, under Arch), or FF4 or Chrome installations on my Windows 7 partition. In addition, this seems to only happen when using my laptom on my house, as when conected to the college wifi that delay is not present.

Laptop: Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile V6535

I'm currently using a Netgear CG3100D router provided by Spanish' ISP ONO, with 50Mb download / 3Mb upload conection working without problems even in firefox4 under Arch (tested using Speedtest.net and some downloads). The only trouble seems to be those first loads of domains.

I've tried until now to solve any trouble like this by myself, and most times I managed to do it searching info on the internet, but no clue found on this.

PS: really nice distribution, makes me think i really found the disribution that suits 100% with me. Oh, BTW, awesome wiki and comunity, thanks to both I almost got all the possible troubles related to my laptop making Arch running out of the box.

My GitHub Page

Best Testing Repo Warning: [testing] means it can eat you hamster, catch fire and you should keep it away from children. And I'm serious here, it's not an April 1st joke.

#2 2011-03-18 01:01:56

skunktrader

Re: Slow "looking up" for domain first time every session in firefox 4 RC1

I'm not sure about firefox 4 but did you try disabling ipv6 for dns lookups?  network.dns.disableIPv6=false

#3 2011-03-18 01:27:52

ethail

Re: Slow "looking up" for domain first time every session in firefox 4 RC1

Sir, that's a total win.

Changed to true, restarted FF, and then, normal behavior.

Thank you for your help.

My GitHub Page

Best Testing Repo Warning: [testing] means it can eat you hamster, catch fire and you should keep it away from children. And I'm serious here, it's not an April 1st joke.

Board footer