You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-14 23:34:16

MkFly

XF86Sleep (keycode 150) only intermittently being recognized

My laptop is a ThinkPad T410.

Ctrl+F4 for sleep used to work great, but around maybe a month or so ago (likely after some updates), it only rarely works. Running pm-suspend works fine.

I started investigating why today, and it seems that something is eating up keycode 105:

$ xmodmap -pke | grep XF86Sleep
keycode 150 = XF86Sleep NoSymbol XF86Sleep

If I start xev or xbindkeys -mk, I can rarely see anything happening when I hit Ctrl+F4.  Only maybe once out of 25-50 keypresses does it generate anything.

I normally run Xfce (with startx), but I trimmed my .xinitrc down today to just exec xterm, and it does the same thing.  Even if I change keycode 150 to something else, the problem remains (I rarely see the 'S'):

$ xmodmap -e "keycode 150 = S"

Any ideas?

Last edited by MkFly (2011-03-14 23:35:29)

#2 2011-03-15 15:30:59

lagagnon
Website

Re: XF86Sleep (keycode 150) only intermittently being recognized

MkFly wrote:

If I start xev or xbindkeys -mk, I can rarely see anything happening when I hit Ctrl+F4.  Only maybe once out of 25-50 keypresses does it generate anything.

I would say you have a faulty keyboard - in other words a hardware problem, not a software one. New keyboards for laptops are quite cheap on eBay and easy to replace.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-03-16 01:25:11

MkFly

lagagnon wrote:
MkFly wrote:

I would say you have a faulty keyboard - in other words a hardware problem, not a software one. New keyboards for laptops are quite cheap on eBay and easy to replace.

Hrm, I sure hope that's not the case.  This laptop is only about 4-5 months old, and the sleep key DID work before.  I was thinking it stopped working reliably after some updates, so I was hoping that was the cause.

I'll try booting into live Ubuntu and see if they key works there ...

EDIT: lagagnon, I just realized that you and I registered on the Arch Linux forums on the same day. smile

Last edited by MkFly (2011-03-16 01:26:14)

#4 2011-03-20 17:09:58

MkFly

Seems to be working fine now since kernel 2.6.37.4-1.  It doesn't show up at all in xbindkeys -mk now, but it does put the computer to sleep reliably. smile

I'd actually like to disable the default "put the computer to sleep" action, and define a custom action for keycode 150 ... I changed it with xmodmap, but it ignores that and still just goes to sleep.  Anybody know what to do there?

Board footer