tuxr99

Want to install Nvidia drivers but can't

Running Archbang 64bit.

I do:

pacman -S nvidia-utils

and get this:

nvidia-utils and libgl are in conflict. Remove libgl? [y/N] 

I pick yes, but nothing happens.
I read that removing ati-dri/intel-dri, etc should resolve this. However, after doing:

pacman -R ati-dri

I get this:

xf86-video-ati: requires ati-dri

I've been reading til my eyes hurt and can't figure it out. Could someone tell me the secret code to get the nvidia driver installed? Thanks.

#2 2011-03-20 02:29:59

bohoomil
Website

Re: Want to install Nvidia drivers but can't

pacman -R xf86-video-ati ati-dri

-- because you need neither the first, nor the latter. wink

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#3 2011-03-20 03:58:50

tuxr99

Thanks for the reply, but after spending another 2 hours fiddling with the nouveau drivers, and realizing I have to deal with KMS, I've decided Arch isn't for me. I can do a cli install of Debian in 2-3 hours and have it highly customized without headaches and spending days configuring. Good luck to you all, and goodnight.

#4 2011-03-20 04:20:03

karol
Archivist

tuxr99 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but after spending another 2 hours fiddling with the nouveau drivers, and realizing I have to deal with KMS, I've decided Arch isn't for me. I can do a cli install of Debian in 2-3 hours and have it highly customized without headaches and spending days configuring. Good luck to you all, and goodnight.

Another satisfied customer ;-)

#5 2011-03-20 05:11:56

bohoomil
Website

...and he sat helplessly on the floor staring into the very heart of his terminals' darkness. "There must be something wrong with my machines", Kurtz said to himself. "Or with me. Or both. Definitely." The letters randomly scrolling on the screen now read the word 'fuck'.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#6 2011-03-20 07:29:33

ChoK

It would have been easier to build your arch installation from the ground up, instead of using Archbang with its preinstalled package and then removing them. You wouldn't have to deal with drivers' conflicts.

Also nouveau and nvidia are mutually exclusive. And the archwiki have nice and clean informations about installation procedures, basic steps to resolve your pacman needs but it's true that at first you will need to invest some time to learn about the internals of your system.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#7 2011-03-20 12:11:03

hauzer
Website

I did that too at the first try, but some weeks after that the second attempt was way easier.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

#8 2011-03-20 18:52:31

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

We also don't provide support for non-official Arch installations on these forums, see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_Post

Closed.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer