You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-01 22:29:50

Gullible Jones

GNOME without GStreamer

Of late, I've been getting more than a little fed up with GStreamer. I don't feel like recompiling GNOME, so... Can I just tear it out with pacman, i.e. using 'pacman -Rdsn gstreamer' and 'pacman -Rdsn gstreamer-plugins'? Will GNOME work after that without need for recompiling, or will I encounter problems?

#2 2005-06-01 23:15:22

iBertus

Re: GNOME without GStreamer

You could always just try it. If it doesn't work you could then just reinstall GStreamer with pacman or recompile GNOME.

#3 2005-06-02 01:04:56

Gullible Jones

Okay, did it. GNOME works perfectly without the bloated mess called GStreamer, as far as I can tell. Thanks.

Edit: Nope... GNOME settings daemon does not work without GStreamer. Looks like I'll have to recompile gnome-media without GStreamer.

#4 2005-06-02 02:14:58

Gullible Jones

OK, recompiling control-center without GStreamer support and uninstalling gnome-media worked.

Hmm... I'll have to suggest to Arjan Timmermann that the control center ought to be compiled without GStreamer support. That way, you could run GNOME with or without GStreamer, by using or getting rid of gnome-media.

#5 2005-06-02 04:20:23

iBertus

i wish you didn't have to enable esd for GNOME action sounds to work!

#6 2005-06-02 07:17:00

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:

Okay, did it. GNOME works perfectly without the bloated mess called GStreamer, as far as I can tell. Thanks.

Edit: Nope... GNOME settings daemon does not work without GStreamer. Looks like I'll have to recompile gnome-media without GStreamer.

GStreamer is hardly a bloated mess. You love making stupid unjustified comments like this dont you? It's a very good multimedia framework, that quite frankly, doesnt have many rivals.

Xine-lib is ok, but doesnt offer as much as gstreamer, nor does it have as many bindings in different programming languages.

iphitus

#7 2005-06-02 09:43:04

JGC
Developer

Gnome will become gstreamer'ized all over the place, so we won't compile gnome without it.
I did much work on splitting up GStreamer, before this splitup, GStreamer was considered as "Gnome stuff", while now, it is usable without having gnome libraries installed on your system.

#8 2005-06-02 10:39:53

Gullible Jones

Okay. I suppose I'll switch from a full GNOME environment to something else then, and just keep the necessary GNOME libraries.

Iphitus: Maybe GStreamer is better than xine-lib for some things, but it sure as hell doesn't play as many things, and it doesn't work properly with ALSA output (not that that really matters).

I do suppose that my calling it "bloated" was unjustified, though. I'll blame that on my stupidity and the number of things in the gstreamer-plugins group... You are right, lots of plugins != bloat.

#9 2005-06-02 12:48:21

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:

Okay. I suppose I'll switch from a full GNOME environment to something else then, and just keep the necessary GNOME libraries.

Iphitus: Maybe GStreamer is better than xine-lib for some things, but it sure as hell doesn't play as many things, and it doesn't work properly with ALSA output (not that that really matters).

I do suppose that my calling it "bloated" was unjustified, though. I'll blame that on my stupidity and the number of things in the gstreamer-plugins group... You are right, lots of plugins != bloat.

The gstreamer plugins group was once one thing, and they all collectively arent very big.

Gstreamer plays most things, and works properly with ALSA, I dont know where you got that from. gstreamer-properties, make sure alsa is selected. works perfectly fine here.

#10 2005-06-02 19:45:33

Gullible Jones

Nope:

"Test failed: cannot make pipe for alsa-sink"

Works fine with alsa-oss, using oss-sink.

You're right about the plugins being smaller than they look though. I suppose I was too quick to judge by appearences.

Edit: I must say, though, that MPD gives me better sound quality than GStreamer. (Is this because it's designed specifically for audio, while GStreamer is general-purpose?)

#11 2005-06-02 22:52:00

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:

Nope:

"Test failed: cannot make pipe for alsa-sink"

Works fine with alsa-oss, using oss-sink.

You're right about the plugins being smaller than they look though. I suppose I was too quick to judge by appearences.

Edit: I must say, though, that MPD gives me better sound quality than GStreamer. (Is this because it's designed specifically for audio, while GStreamer is general-purpose?)

That'd probably be more because of the fact you are using the oss sink.

If its not working, why dont you do something productive and try and fix the problem? File a bug report?

iphitus

#12 2005-06-02 23:13:29

Gullible Jones

The bug has already been reported several dozen times.

#13 2005-06-02 23:43:10

iphitus
Forum Fellow

That doesnt mean you dont report it or even add comment to it,

are esd or aRTS running?

btw, MPD playing songs faster than it should in your other thread.... sounds like improved sound quality to me.

#14 2005-06-03 01:07:12

Gullible Jones

Problems solved.

And yes, that was improved sound quality compared to the buzzing and crackling that GStreamer gave me.

Board footer