#1 2011-03-22 18:12:58

cjpembo

5.1 Audio Using S/PDIF And GStreamer

These both work:

VLC -> ALSA S/PDIF Optical Out -> Surround Receiver = perfect 5.1 sound

MPlayer -> ALSA S/PDIF Optical Out -> Surround Receiver = perfect 5.1 sound 

This fails:

Totem -> ALSA* -> Surround Receiver = anything but 5.1 sound

* i've tried just about every .asoundrc, /etc/asound.conf, gstreamer-properties option on the planet.  I can always get sound, but Totem always down-samples the stream to something less than 5.1; some options give 2.1, some map the rear channels to front, etc.  Yes, I've tried AC-passthu in totem settings (tried them all).  I've tried specifying digital out within gstreamer-properties.  I've tried every trick I could find for alsa... but it's not an alsa problem as both vlc and mplayer get it right without any .asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf.

I HAVE been able to play clips manually (via gst-launch) and achieve perfect digital sound on all 5.1 channels, but NEVER from within totem.  So I guess I'm asking if anyone has gotten totem to pass 5.1 channel digital audio out to a receiver and actually had all 5.1 channels work?

Note: I'm already certain this is trivial with non-s/pdif outputs... I'm interested in s/pdif only.

I've spoken to some gstreamer developers and they say that gstreamer is most certainly capable of doing what I ask; it is just up to the players (like totem) to get it right.  Anyone know of a gstreamer-based video app that gets it right?  I've been assured that Fluendo's Moovida works, but I'd like to find another (free) way.

Thanks

Board footer