You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-20 21:43:31

jtkiv

minesweeper/pipedream/snake/maze hybrid? in python?

ive been learning python, and ive more or less finished my latest project.  thought i might try a game for the next round.  at first i thought i'd make a minesweeper clone, then had this idea which seems to combine elements of minesweeper, pipe dream, snake, and maybe some maze action...

the "board" is a traditional mine field with the following additions:

1. a 'start' and 'end' square
2. a definite path (or paths) to and from the squares (hidden under the squares of course)

pipe dream comes when a 'something' (could be a liquid, snake, tron cycle, w/e) enters the field from the start square.  your objective is to guide it to the end square (maze).  the complications are that the uncovered mine field is covering the trail, and the 'something' can't hit itself (snake).

so, you sweep as fast as you can to uncover area.  enter the 'something' which you must direct, a. avoiding mines, b. avoiding self.  you'd continue to uncover mines while the 'something' is safely aimed somewhere.  when you find the trail to the end square, you guide it there careful not to hit mines.  the 'something' could travel on uncovered squares, but will blow up on the mines if it hits them.

too complicated?  thoughts?

#2 2011-03-21 19:58:28

stqn
Website

Re: minesweeper/pipedream/snake/maze hybrid? in python?

There's something I don't understand in your description: if this is like minesweeper and you lose when you dig on a mine, then how can the "something" hit a mine? And if you don't lose when you dig on a mine, then how exactly will you guide the "something" so that it doesn't hit the mines?

It might be a little bit too complicated. Minesweeper is very simple but is "perfect" and adding stuff to it will not necessarily make a good game... I'm not sure what you have in mind though.

Just a thought based on your "liquid" idea: lava could flow from the starting point and "burn" the squares that haven't been dug that it touches so that they can't be dug anymore... I don't know if that would be interesting, but that should be simple enough.

Last edited by stqn (2011-03-21 19:59:09)

#3 2011-03-21 20:18:03

drcouzelis
Website

Your idea totally reminded of the general idea behind Tong. (Tetris + Pong) It was pretty fun. big_smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2011-03-21 20:18:19)

#4 2011-03-22 15:44:29

jtkiv

@stqn - you do lose if you 'dig' on a mine.  the something can hit a mine 1. if you run into one accidentally, 2. if you take the something over area you have not uncovered (i.e. the something can go anywhere on the board, but no garuntees its safe - unless you have found the mines and can direct the something around them...) 

xZ1F0.png

^^ (not my mine code) -- see there near the 'end' the snake-thing crosses yet-to-be-uncovered squares.  thats fine, but you have to risk hitting mines.

----

now i'm thinking a two-stage game would be better.  probably a timed sweep first, then a 3 life 'something' run.  -- 30 seconds to clear as much of the field as possible --> 3 tries to get the 'something' to the end.  depends on how impossible it'd be to clear mines with the mouse and steer the 'something' with the keyboard... simultaneously.  if that kind of double-tasking is feasible, then it'd be the best way.

----

there are lots of possibilities.  i do agree that minesweeper is a 'perfect' game.  minesweeper > cod4?  wink

Last edited by jtkiv (2011-03-22 15:54:26)

#5 2011-03-22 17:59:10

stqn
Website

Oh I see, you'd be controlling the snake in real time with the keyboard and playing minesweeper with the mouse at the same time... Pretty challenging, but worth a try smile. (Like Tong.)

#6 2011-03-22 23:31:48

jtkiv

are mines the best theme?  i couldn't think of anything else but cow-pies and a line of farmers doing a conga dance, and that might be too weird.  any ideas on this?  lava might be alright, but what 'mine' like object fits with that?

i think it'd be best to leave pipe-dream out of it, and just control the 'something' directly (rather than walls for it to go off).  so that leaves it as snake+minesweeper.  i expect it will be quite challenging.

not sure how to go about the code related to the 'something' (keyboard interaction, lock to grid, follow path, etc.), but i think i'll be able to do the mine part.  so, off to work.

----

could do a mirror/laser combo... the 'mines' would be obstacles (like blocks or what not).  so, you clear as much then have to set up mirrors for light to go from start to finish without hitting anything...  a little far-fetched?

Board footer