You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-02 21:52:41

DarkPath

Satellite Radio

Hey, I've been looking into satellite radio lately... XM and Sirius radio to be specific. I don't think they're available outside of the USA, so sorry to all of our foreign friends of Arch Linux. smile

Anyway, I'm just curious... does anyone here have either of these services? If so, do you have anything you can recommend for them? I'm mostly looking at receivers now and I'm leaning toward Sirius rather than XM. At the moment, Sirius seems to have a better selection of music channels as well as some nice looking talk channels.

So... any opinions?  big_smile

#2 2005-06-03 04:11:00

aCoder
Website

Re: Satellite Radio

My brother-in-law signed up with Sirius recently, and he absolutely loves it.  I'm considering it as well, and I don't think I'd go with XM, I don't like thier selection as well either.  The only hardware opinion I've had, is to look at the controls on a unit before you buy it.  The ones with a 'wheel' for navigation of menus and channels are the best.  I tried one where a set of buttons controlled everything, and a whole hour wasn't long enough to figure out a practical way of doing anything with it.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#3 2005-06-03 12:07:22

DarkPath

Re: Satellite Radio

aCoder wrote:

The only hardware opinion I've had, is to look at the controls on a unit before you buy it.  The ones with a 'wheel' for navigation of menus and channels are the best.  I tried one where a set of buttons controlled everything, and a whole hour wasn't long enough to figure out a practical way of doing anything with it.

Yeah, I've just been checking out the available units online... I think I've found one that's pretty nice, I just need to actually find it available in a store somewhere. The downside is that it's rather expensive. :? Right now, I'm going to keep listening to their online music channels for free for the next couple days and see if I really like the service that much. I'd really like to have the functionality, but I'm not convinced that I can justify the $13 monthly cost yet. I'm just a college student after all. wink

Board footer