You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-21 23:19:28

matthewbpt

[SOLVED]Very weird AUR problems

I have a very odd problem with AUR packages, I previously posted this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115426 where dropbox was giving me a "Could not execute binary file" error when I tried to run it. I solved this by installing from source using the instructions straight from dropbox and not using AUR. But later I installed yaourt, and all the *.sh files in /usr/lib/yaourt also gave the same binary file error. I decided to do a closer inspection of the files and I realized they were all empty! So then I manually copied these files from the build folder to /usr/lib/yaourt and yaourt works fine! I also installed jupiter from AUR and it also gave the same error ... It seems that using makepkg with PKGBUILD's from AUR is not working. :S

Has anyone come across this before?

I installed arch yesterday using btrfs in my root and home partitions, I think that's the only unusual thing about my install.

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by matthewbpt (2011-03-24 19:04:36)

#2 2011-03-23 22:11:48

matthewbpt

Re: [SOLVED]Very weird AUR problems

Any clues on how I can debug this problem so that I can start trying to find a solution?

#3 2011-03-24 00:17:30

ANOKNUSA

Yaourt is a wrapper written in bash that pulls the necessary PKGBUILD  and source from the AUR (or project website, git repo, whatever) and then runs makepkg and pacman consecutively.  There's no reason why yaourt would succeed and makepkg + pacman would fail, since they're essentially the same.  Your previous issue with dropbox suggests a filesystem problem; I'm afraid there isn't much else I can say, since I've never had this problem or come across it elsewhere.  More info might help: how did you install--with Archboot?  Do you have two separate partitions, or two separate subvolumes?  What have you set in /etc/makepkg.conf and /etc/yaourtrc?

#4 2011-03-24 01:26:12

matthewbpt

I was thinking it could be file system problems. I have a btrfs root and I enabled compression in fstab. I just disabled it and reinstalled the packages and they are running fine now. Oh the dangers of using a still experimental file system!

#5 2011-03-24 01:31:08

falconindy
Developer
Website

matthewbpt wrote:

I was thinking it could be file system problems. I have a btrfs root and I enabled compression in fstab. I just disabled it and reinstalled the packages and they are running fine now. Oh the dangers of using a still experimental file system!

FYI, that bug should be fixed in 2.6.38 and you can go back to using compression. It was exposed by coreutils 8.10 when they rewrote the cp/mv utilities to use a different interface.

#6 2011-03-24 01:40:23

matthewbpt

Great news! I shall switch to 2.6.38 soon then, I've been wanting to do a custom kernel compile for my netbook, now I've got a great excuse! Thanks for the heads up.

Board footer