You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-24 01:29:51

skai161

[SOLVED] xmonad installation - confused (?)

After recovering from a failed xmonad installation, I thought it would be a good idea to post this..

Again, to everyone who helped with my other thread, I'm sorry if this is stupid.

Every guide on installing xmonad is out of date. Or everyone that I have found anyway. I have already "sudo pacman -S xmonad" and installed it, but where do I go from here?
I have tried putting "exec xmonad" in my xinitrc, but when I login, xmonad does not start. I get this in terminal when I try running "xmonad" in gnome:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file: /home/skai/.xmonad/xmonad.hs

xmonad.hs:5:18:
    Could not find module `XMonad.Actions.Warp':
      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

Please check the file for errors.

/home/skai/.xmonad/xmonad-i386-linux: executeFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
xmonad: xmessage: executeFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
  Serial number of failed request:  7
  Current serial number in output stream:  8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It says an error has been detected with my xmonad.hs. I just copied some random config in the hopes of getting this to work, so maybe that has something to do with it.
After that it says xmonad-i386-linux: executeFile does not exist.. I don't know anything about that. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this?

Edit ---------------------------------------~~~~
I deserve at least one reply, no?
I have seen this problem on forums everywhere, but people either get it fixed automagically they talk to someone on IRC and figure it out. I'm not a very lucky guy, and I don't know any IRC channels.

All I'm really looking for is an installation/configure guide for xmonad, if anybody has one, please post.

Last edited by skai161 (2011-03-24 15:11:35)

#2 2011-03-24 10:20:34

linux-ka

Re: [SOLVED] xmonad installation - confused (?)

So, you are using gnome?

Why don't you set xmonad as your default WM in your login-screen?

After installing xmonad, did run "xmonad --recompile"? This would (re-) create your binary.

This should be enough make it work.

EDIT:

Did you read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmonad ? This article seems to be still sota.

Last edited by linux-ka (2011-03-24 10:28:59)

#3 2011-03-24 10:46:40

defears

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad

The Xmonad wiki has good info about using it in gnome.

#4 2011-03-24 11:07:23

ijanos

skai161 wrote:

I have tried putting "exec xmonad" in my xinitrc, but when I login, xmonad does not start.

Are you sure it did not start? What happaned? You get an empty screen?

I just copied some random config in the hopes of getting this to work, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Dont use random configs found somewhere on the net. Start from the default one and extend it to your needs.

Every guide on installing xmonad is out of date.

A bit bold statement. I see nothing wrong with this one: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmonad

I suggest remove everything from your .xmonad dir and start over.

Also, dont be impatient.

#5 2011-03-24 11:43:01

pseup

xmonad.hs:5:18:
    Could not find module `XMonad.Actions.Warp':
      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

Looks like you are missing xmonad-contrib (mentioned as the 3rd word in the install step in wiki, go figure). Install that then go through the steps again.

#6 2011-03-24 15:11:16

skai161

Alright guys, I get it. Thanks for posting. I'm going to mark this as solved, because even if I cant get it after this, it has to be on my end, not xmonads.

#7 2011-03-24 15:30:57

ijanos

skai161 wrote:

Alright guys, I get it. Thanks for posting. I'm going to mark this as solved, because even if I cant get it after this, it has to be on my end, not xmonads.

I'm still thinking that you managed to start it before but get confused with the default, empty screen.

#8 2011-03-24 16:18:32

skai161

ijanos wrote:
skai161 wrote:

I'm still thinking that you managed to start it before but get confused with the default, empty screen.

Yeah, you're right actually. You see, it wasn't the empty screen that confused me. The mod+shift+return combo wasn't opening terminal, so I thought that nothing was running, and there was an error somewhere. Turns out, it was trying to start xterm. I don't have xterm.

Anyway..

I'm messing with the config right now, everything is starting to work for me. I have it installed, and running right now. Reading the documentation as I type. Thanks for the help!

Board footer