You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-24 18:39:38

JerichoKru
Website

Volume increments with the Volume Fn keys

I've searched around a bit on this and maybe some of you can put some more input on this.

Currently, when I use the VolUp/Down keys, it jumps the volume up from, for example, 42% to 66% with one push.

Is there anyway I can modify this behaviour?

Also, if you know how to get the volume keys to modify the "Master Front" channel and not the "Front", I'd appreciate it.  This is just a minor nuisance.

If you need any more information, just ask.  I don't know what you'll need.

#2 2011-03-24 18:59:53

karol
Archivist

Re: Volume increments with the Volume Fn keys

Have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ex … ys_in_Xorg

Tell us what kind of computer / multimedia keyboard are you using and what kind of DE / WM if any.

#3 2011-03-24 19:14:29

owain

The best option will depend on what window manager you're using, because that is probably already grabbing the keys and binding them to its own settings.

In XMonad, were I've bound them manually, they're set as follows:

, (( 0                    , 0x1008ff13  ), spawn "amixer -q set Master 3dB+")
    , (( 0                    , 0x1008ff11  ), spawn "amixer -q set Master 3dB-")
    , (( 0                    , 0x1008ff12  ), spawn "amixer -q set Master toggle")

Running xev will report the name of the keys, probably 'XF86AudioRaiseVolume' or similar, but binding these didn't work for some reason so I used the hex codes it gave instead.  'amixer scontrols' will show what Alsa channels can be changed with similar commands.

Edit: or follow that link smile

Last edited by owain (2011-03-24 19:15:26)

#4 2011-03-24 19:49:46

JerichoKru
Website

owain wrote:

The best option will depend on what window manager you're using, because that is probably already grabbing the keys and binding them to its own settings.

In XMonad, were I've bound them manually, they're set as follows:

, (( 0                    , 0x1008ff13  ), spawn "amixer -q set Master 3dB+")
    , (( 0                    , 0x1008ff11  ), spawn "amixer -q set Master 3dB-")
    , (( 0                    , 0x1008ff12  ), spawn "amixer -q set Master toggle")

Running xev will report the name of the keys, probably 'XF86AudioRaiseVolume' or similar, but binding these didn't work for some reason so I used the hex codes it gave instead.  'amixer scontrols' will show what Alsa channels can be changed with similar commands.

Edit: or follow that link smile

Currently using Fluxbox on an ASUS K50AB.

It seems I can re-bind them with xbindkeys, which I already used to make a screen-lock combo.

So, I find out what they keys are called and add it in my config with something like the amixer commands above?  I feel kinda dumb right now.  I wasn't sure if forcing key binds that the system already put in place would mess up anything and I didn't know what commands/config file modifications I needed to do.

Unless there's an even simpler way, I'll fool around with xbindkeys.

-------

EDIT:  I can't get xev or xbindkeys to cooperate.  It's like they don't see the Fn key.

Last edited by JerichoKru (2011-03-24 19:55:21)

Board footer