You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-25 15:33:09

Sinner

A few small issues I can't find fixes for

Hi everyone, I've been using arch for a little bit now and really enjoying the experience. I have run across 3 small problems and other than that everything thing seems to be running flawlessly. I'd appreciate any help with these, and thanks in advance. I have googled trying to find solutions and searched the wiki but either none of the issues were listed or the fixes for them didn't seem to have an effect, but if I missed something sorry, just if you want to point me in the right direction that'd be appreciated.

So some specifics about my system first, I'm running on arch linux 64bit using KDE as my desktop environment.

Okay so problem number 1:

Sometimes when arch goes to boot it fails to mount /dev/sda2 which is my root partition, This doesn't happen everytime but I'd say 50 or 60 percent of the time, but when it does I give it a restart once or twice and it loads into arch just fine. I can restart my computer if anyone wants the exact wording I get, but it goes along the lines of "failed to mount /dev/sda2 you are now being dropped in to a recovery shell" Now I'm not sure but this might be because of the weird way I set the harddrive partitions up, but it worked in all the distros I used before settling on arch, but to give you an idea, I'm using 2 300gb hard drives, I have them split so that 1 hard drive is completely devoted to my / and /boot partitions, the other one has /usr /tmp /var and swap on it. In addition I have a 1tb drive for storage that is devoted to /home. If it is causing the problem and I have to reformat and go to a more conventional partition scheme I will, but I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible, just because I am rather settled in to this install.

Problem number 2:

Amarok takes forever and a day to load, somewhere in the area of 60+ seconds, when I start it via the terminal I get this output:

KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work

(amarok:19322): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_debug_add_log_function: assertion `func != NULL' failed
amarok(19322)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
amarok(19322)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0, 0)
amarok(19322)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0, 0)
amarok(19322)/kdecore (KPluginInfo) KPluginInfo::kcmServices: found 0 offers for "Amarok Script Console"
amarok(19322)/kdecore (KPluginInfo) KPluginInfo::kcmServices: found 0 offers for "LyricWiki"
amarok(19322)/kdecore (KPluginInfo) KPluginInfo::kcmServices: found 0 offers for "Cool Streams"
amarok(19322)/kdecore (KPluginInfo) KPluginInfo::kcmServices: found 0 offers for "Librivox.org"
**********************************************************************************************
** AMAROK WAS STARTED IN NORMAL MODE. IF YOU WANT TO SEE DEBUGGING INFORMATION, PLEASE USE: **
** amarok --debug                                                                           **
**********************************************************************************************

I thought maybe it was the gstreamer backend because the wiki said it might cause problems and to try using xine instead. However doing this didn't seem to help at all.

Problem number 3

Flash is all weird when I use Kwin, when I use compiz it works near flawlessly but my issue with that is then kde doesn't act nearly as smooth as it does without compiz. When I use flashplugin from the repos I can't go fullscreen because it makes everything freeze up, and when I try flashplugin-prerelease from the aur flash is always in the spot where it loaded meaning if I change tabs in firefox it goes through the other tab and if I scroll it stays stationary and everything else scrolls behind it.

Again I apologize if I missed it in the searches that I ran and these have been solved elsewhere, but thanks in advance for all help given.

Edit: Installing pulseaudio and using that instead of alsa seems to have fixed amarok starting slowly.

Last edited by Sinner (2011-03-26 05:05:57)

#2 2011-03-25 15:37:52

milomouse
Website

Re: A few small issues I can't find fixes for

1) what bootloader do you use? what arguments do you give your bootloader config? mind sharing your /etc/fstab?
2-3) no idea, i haven't used KDE

#3 2011-03-25 15:40:46

Sinner

milomouse wrote:

1) what bootloader do you use? what arguments do you give your bootloader config? mind sharing your /etc/fstab?
2-3) no idea, i haven't used KDE

I haven't really touched my fstab at all but here it is

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0

#/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/dvd               /media/dvd  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0

/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda2 / ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /var ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb3 /usr ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb4 /tmp ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdc1 /home ext4 defaults 0 1

#4 2011-03-25 16:01:10

milomouse
Website

Maybe you should use UUIDs instead of /dev/sd* to avoid any possible device confusion (type 'blkid' to see your UUIDs), though from your first post about "cannot mount /dev/sda2" it still appears to check for root device correctly.  At any rate, in your grub or lilo or syslinux (whatever bootloader you have) config you could also change root=/dev/sda2 to root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/YOURROOTUUID (however your bootloader can handle it) to help further reduce possible errors.  (helpful link: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pe … ice_naming )  Trying to think of what else it could be since it only happens every now and then, which is a little strange.

#5 2011-03-25 16:29:03

Sinner

milomouse wrote:

Maybe you should use UUIDs instead of /dev/sd* to avoid any possible device confusion (type 'blkid' to see your UUIDs), though from your first post about "cannot mount /dev/sda2" it still appears to check for root device correctly.  At any rate, in your grub or lilo or syslinux (whatever bootloader you have) config you could also change root=/dev/sda2 to root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/YOURROOTUUID (however your bootloader can handle it) to help further reduce possible errors.  (helpful link: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pe … ice_naming )  Trying to think of what else it could be since it only happens every now and then, which is a little strange.

Oh my bad I forgot to say I'm using grub, but yeah I went through and did that, That seemed to stop me being loaded into a recovery shell or whatever, but when arch started to boot about 2 out of the 5 times I restarted to test it, it said file systems didn't check and had my log in as root to try to remount the partition. Also I got a COMERROR=-32 after which it said it was doing a comreset and would retry in 8 seconds after doing that 3 times it booted almost every time unless it ran into the filesystem check.

Last edited by Sinner (2011-03-25 16:29:32)

Board footer