You are not logged in.

#551 2011-03-23 13:39:58

bakerboy

Re: gnome unstable repository

@wonder, thanks for that. Site is still broke at the moment. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

#552 2011-03-23 15:26:38

gun26

I also missed wonder's warning about upgrading yesterday. In order to get things going again after the rc1 breakage, I downgraded gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-control-center and gnome-desktop - just downgrading gsettings-desktop-schemas didn't do the trick.

#553 2011-03-23 15:39:53

wonder
Developer
Website

@gun26 now it should be fine. Fully update your system

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#554 2011-03-23 16:27:45

jolinfire

kane77 wrote:
jolinfire wrote:
wonder wrote:

the current status is:

gnome 3.0 rc1 landed, works but has some upstream bugs. IMO is more unstable than beta

Just a question : will there be a version of alacarte in order to generate desktop file for "homemade" version, like I do with Mozilla Firefox trunk code ?

Thanks for your answer. And I will wait for rc2 before jumping into gnome3 big_smile

AFAIK there will be no RC2, next planned is newstable 3.0.0

Ok. So I will wait until gnome 3 hits [testing]. About 2 weeks from now, AFAIK ?!

#555 2011-03-23 17:23:02

luciferin

To everyone who wants to launch the system settings menu, you can access it by launching 'gnome-control-center' from a terminal.

#556 2011-03-23 19:38:39

kane77

luciferin wrote:

To everyone who wants to launch the system settings menu, you can access it by launching 'gnome-control-center' from a terminal.

Is it just me or is the proxy disabling not working?
I used proxy settings in gnome 2 and it is set correctly (with all defined exceptions), however it stays enabled even if I select no proxy.. (if I open terminal it still has $http_proxy set), even if I disable it in dconf-editor and I also think adding new exceptions does not work..

Plus in .92 they changed the behavior of multi displays.. Now only one display has workspaces, the other has windows, but it's only single workspace, which is.. strange and something I don't like hmm

#557 2011-03-23 20:15:31

wonder
Developer
Website

@kane77 the old proxy should be in gconf-editor. The network panel only sets up stuff in dconf and they don't synchronize them

as for multihead behavior, Daniel said xinerama started to work fine with this update, i see changes related to multi head support.

Changes since 2.91.91
=====================
 * Add a workspaces_only_on_primary preferences. When set, this makes
   workspaces switching only apply to windows on the primary monitor,
   while windows on other monitors are unaffected.
 * Export API for monitor handling [Alex]
    MetaScreen::monitors-changed signal
    meta_screen_get_primary_monitor()
    meta_window_is_on_primary_monitor()
    meta_window_get_monitor()
    MetaWindow::window-entered-monitor, <etaWindow::window-left-monitor
    meta_window_move_to_monitor() [Florian]

#558 2011-03-24 12:06:37

kane77

wonder wrote:

@kane77 the old proxy should be in gconf-editor. The network panel only sets up stuff in dconf and they don't synchronize them

as for multihead behavior, Daniel said xinerama started to work fine with this update, i see changes related to multi head support.

Changes since 2.91.91
=====================
 * Add a workspaces_only_on_primary preferences. When set, this makes
   workspaces switching only apply to windows on the primary monitor,
   while windows on other monitors are unaffected.
 * Export API for monitor handling [Alex]
    MetaScreen::monitors-changed signal
    meta_screen_get_primary_monitor()
    meta_window_is_on_primary_monitor()
    meta_window_get_monitor()
    MetaWindow::window-entered-monitor, <etaWindow::window-left-monitor
    meta_window_move_to_monitor() [Florian]

thanks, yes, the gconf settings do affect system proxy settings..

For multihead, yes it works as described in the changelog. Where can I find mentioned preference 'workspaces_only_on_primary' ?

#559 2011-03-24 18:06:01

toffyrn

Since the integrated network manager thing came I have experienced an issue.

My network ssid is schwarzhild, and networkmanager is suddenly showing both "Auto schwarzhild" and "Automatisk schwarzhild".
It also wont connect to either of those when clicking on them.

I believe this is some old configuration leading to one access point being listed twice.
Thus I would like to know how to remove all saved config from network manager.

Where are configurations stored?

#560 2011-03-24 19:01:24

megawebmaster

I've got another problem - after today's update of system - I cannot change my wallpaper correctly. I've set up my desktop, updated and many things went back to their defaults, i.e. wallpaper. When I tried to change it - gnome-shell kills itself and knocks me back to GDM. I've found that when I'll change wallpaper to other than one from built-in then black color is displayed instead, but while login (before shell panel shows up) I can see my wallpaper. Anyone has the same weird bug?

#561 2011-03-24 19:14:00

toffyrn

@megawebmaster: Yep. Trying to change wallpaper some times kills X/gnome back to gdm...

#562 2011-03-24 19:15:20

wonder
Developer
Website

@megawebmaster they said is a bug in mesa/X. Now bugzilla is down for maintenance.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=645601

#563 2011-03-25 09:22:29

jolinfire

Decided to test it.

Broken packages : rhythmbox, shotwell (webkit related), alacarte (cannot could get it run).

rhythmbox: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkit-1.0.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Pretty quick without any tool like compiz.

But a little too unstable for now. Hope it will be more stable for official 3.0 release big_smile

Last edited by jolinfire (2011-03-25 10:32:58)

#564 2011-03-25 10:46:22

tanuva

toffyrn wrote:

Since the integrated network manager thing came I have experienced an issue.

My network ssid is schwarzhild, and networkmanager is suddenly showing both "Auto schwarzhild" and "Automatisk schwarzhild".
It also wont connect to either of those when clicking on them.
(...)

I've seen the same problem. As far as I found out, thats caused by NetworkManager being too old (0.8.997) in gnome-unstable while the new nm-applet needs at least 0.9. I'm currently using my jhbuilt NM from the gnome3 moduleset which works fine so far. Too bad there's no recent enough release tarball yet...

#565 2011-03-25 11:02:25

toffyrn

I think i've fixed the networkmanager issues by downgrading to a version where i could edit my connections.
Removed ALL stored "auto" connections, and then upgraded. Things seems to be working atm. smile

#566 2011-03-25 15:18:32

off220

Is there still no gtk3-engines and no way to change gtk theme?

#567 2011-03-25 15:40:07

Ronis_BR

jolinfire wrote:

Decided to test it.

Broken packages : rhythmbox, shotwell (webkit related), alacarte (cannot could get it run).

rhythmbox: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkit-1.0.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Pretty quick without any tool like compiz.

But a little too unstable for now. Hope it will be more stable for official 3.0 release big_smile

Yeah, I have also tested it and I think that RC is too buggy and unstable for a RC, I got three crashes in less than 30 minutes.
Also, I'm missing many tools that we have in gnome 2, I don't know if it is related to Arch packing or if it isn't written yet.
Anyway, am I seeing a KDE 4 - version 2? I hope not... smile

Regards!

#568 2011-03-25 17:16:39

wonder
Developer
Website

@Ronis_BR, hey, don't blame my packages. in gnome-unstable there is fully feature gnome 3.0. they way is supposed to be. I'm not sure what tools are you missing, since you are talking more generally.

@jolinfire broken in a sense that rhythmbox developers didn't release new tarball compatible with gnome unstable and shotwell, you need to recompile it.  Because of this kind of situation is so damn hard to maintain two gnome versions in separate repos.

@off220 no. there isn't any other gtk3 theme available at this point. To change the theme and customize gnome a bit, see gnome 3 wiki.

#569 2011-03-25 17:48:21

ttux

Ronis_BR wrote:

Anyway, am I seeing a KDE 4 - version 2? I hope not... smile

I'm affraid you do, I think a lot of people are not going to be happy with gnome 3. Does anyone know if it's still completely bugged with proprietary drivers?

#570 2011-03-25 18:38:31

gun26

ttux wrote:

Does anyone know if it's still completely bugged with proprietary drivers?

Well, I just enabled the gnome-unstable repo again on my Nvidia-equipped desktop (using binary Nvidia beta drivers 270.30) and doing a simple pacman -Syu got me the gnome 3 fallback desktop. I had to uninstall gnome-panel-bonobo and all its dependencies. And I remembered belatedly to remove fusion-icon.desktop from .config/Autostart - compiz and clutter don't mix.

Gnome-shell had to be explicitly installed afterward with pacman -S gnome-shell, and it too works fine so far. As far as Nvidia goes, things look good for gnome 3. I would expect AMD to be a similar story unless there's some problem specific to their drivers.

As of this afternoon gnome3/gnome-shell is quite functional on both my laptop (Intel video) and desktop (Nvidia binary video). System settings, power settings and sound settings are all AWOL when clicked from the icon menus in the top-right notification area, but Alt-F2 works for explicitly starting gnome-control-center which lets you get to everything. It's a useable workaround for now.

Last edited by gun26 (2011-03-25 18:50:03)

#571 2011-03-25 18:41:08

schneida
Website

The last time I tried it was about a month ago. It was "usable" with NVIDIA card but really slow and with loads of graphics error. You could also start it with proprietary ATI drivers, but that resulted in even more failures. Basically, font didn't render correctly and everything was WAY to bright. Also if you moved something, the window basically just faded out, but you still could see rests where it originally was (I'm sorry, don't know a word for that, dictionary says fog, but??).

I have a question: What will happen with Gnome 2 after Gnome 3 hits the main repos? Will you still be able to install just Gnome 2, or does it only work as a rescue system, when Gnome-Shell fails??

#572 2011-03-25 19:05:34

wonder
Developer
Website

@schneida i repeat this stuff over and over. gnome2 would be replaced by gnome 3. you won't be able to install gnome 2.

gnome 3.0 has two modes. fallback mode and gnome-shell. when gnome-shell is installed gnome-session does some checks to see if your system is capable to run gnome-shell. If is, it would start gnome-shell, if not, it would start fallback mode.

fallback mode is similar with gnome 2 layout but doesn't have the same functionality.

#573 2011-03-25 19:12:21

gun26

schneida wrote:

The last time I tried it was about a month ago. It was "usable" with NVIDIA card but really slow and with loads of graphics error.
I have a question: What will happen with Gnome 2 after Gnome 3 hits the main repos? Will you still be able to install just Gnome 2, or does it only work as a rescue system, when Gnome-Shell fails??

I should have mentioned in my post above that gnome-shell and clutter compositing seem to be working perfectly on my Nvidia desktop. No artifacts or unnatural brightness and speed is excellent. This is with the latest Nvidia beta 270.30 drivers on a relatively new GTX-460 card, so it could be a different story with older hardware and/or drivers.

As for the issue of gnome 2 continuing, look at this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115568.

Really, unless someone forks gnome 2 and keeps at it instead of fading away in a month or two which seems to be the case with all these forks, Arch will have gnome 3 as its gnome, period. If you don't install gnome-shell, you get the fallback desktop but as wonder has pointed out more than once, the fallback experience isn't nearly the same thing as gnome 2.

For those who prefer Ubuntu's unity interface, there's already an AUR package for it and if enough people want it, I imagine it would be made available as an alternative to gnome-shell or gnome 3 fallback.

#574 2011-03-25 19:19:36

schneida
Website

Thanks for clarification wonder and gun26. Well, I'll see how things are going to develop. In the worst case scenario, I'll probably install stay with gnome 2 as long as possible. I guess someone will maintain it on AUR (hopefully) or I'll try to maintain them myself...

EDIT: Ok, thread above says, it's not possible to maintain them in the repos at the same time, which doesn't exclude, building them oneself.

Last edited by schneida (2011-03-25 19:22:38)

#575 2011-03-25 19:22:11

ttux

gun26 wrote:

I would expect AMD to be a similar story unless there's some problem specific to their drivers.

I just switched back to fglrx to see if it was better but I don't have the icon rendered in the top panel (to show if available or busy) and I have this demagnetize effect each time there is a notification or I switch to the view workspaces mode. Still the same problem with contextual menu where it's all unreadable. So I'm switching back to radeon.

Board footer