You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-27 08:25:31

jta

USB installation with DD

Hello!

This evening I attempted to install ArchLinux on my netbook using the DD method.  I followed the set of commands on:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … lash_drive

I am aware of Unetbootin and have used it before.  I just wanted to give DD a try.  However, one of two things will happen when I use DD.  First off, my computer will just hang when I select the USB device.  This is obviously not good.  After I tried dd again, I got the following error:

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found

and some error about an unusual character.

I was hoping that somebody else is running into this problem and can remedy it.

Through both issues I have attempted to modify the name of the file isolinux to syslinux (as I saw this may be a remedy), but my USB device became a "read-only" device.

#2 2011-03-27 15:06:30

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: USB installation with DD

Perhaps you can post the command format used to run the .iso to provide info for troubleshooting.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2011-03-27 15:12:29

PIMPinator

Re: USB installation with DD

The command you're running is needed to help. I don't really understand what you're trying to do. From the page you linked:

$ dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sd[x]

This should be the only command you need to run, and should work right away. It looks like you might be following the deprecated method at the bottom instead? If so, please follow this instead (it's only one step long).

If you're have trouble identifying which device is your usb drive, try running gparted, which will list each drive by designation (/dev/sda etc) and their size, making them easily identifiable.

Board footer