You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-23 02:16:37

esuhl

[SOLVED] Firefox won't start - "Failed to execute default Web Browser"

I've just updgraded from Firefox 3 to version 4 (by running "pacman -Syu") on my 64-bit Arch installation.  I started XFCE and Firefox 4 worked fine for a few minutes before crashing and closing automatically.

A short while later (long enough to forget exactly what I was doing when it crashed!) I tried to run it again, but got the error message Failed to execute default Web Browser. / Input/output error.

I've tried rebooting the PC and re-installing firefox & firefox-i18n, but still get the same error.  If I run "firefox" from a terminal window, I get the following response:

OpenOffice path before fixup is '/usr/lib/openoffice.org3'
OpenOffice path is '/usr/lib/openoffice.org3'
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING:(/build/src/nspluginwrapper-1.3.0/src/npw-wrapper.c:3160):invoke_NP_Initialize: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(g_rpc_connection))
NOTE: child process received `Goodbye', closing down
OpenOffice path before fixup is '/usr/lib/openoffice.org3'
OpenOffice path is '/usr/lib/openoffice.org3'
firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so: undefined symbol: NPP_Initialize

I'm not sure why there are so many references to "OpenOffice"...

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to get Firefox working again?  (Thanks in advance!)

Last edited by esuhl (2011-03-25 00:40:19)

#2 2011-03-23 03:00:24

kyla
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox won't start - "Failed to execute default Web Browser"

When I was testing the betas before, a plugin showed up that facilitated opening open office documents after clicking on them in firefox, so I'm assuming that that's what the references to oo are. I don't know how to fix it though. If no one else comes up with a better suggestion I'd try uninstalling open office and seeing if it works then.

#3 2011-03-23 11:49:47

^-Ubermensch-^

This is a bug that is resolved recompiling vlc with the option "--disable-mozilla"
Bye

#4 2011-03-25 00:39:44

esuhl

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was just about to try them, but I ran another update (pacman -Syu), which resulted in an OpenOffice module (openoffice-base) being replaced with some LibreOffice ones.  Now Firefox is working as it should!  :-)

Thanks again! :-)

#5 2011-03-28 06:54:37

^-Ubermensch-^

#6 2011-03-28 23:42:26

esuhl

Thanks for that.  After I posted my last message, Firefox crashed again on a website containing embedded video.  I disabled the add-on, but when VLC was updated, I guess it installed and enabled the add-on again.  Firefox worked fine initially, but I've just tried to open it again and the same "input/output error" message appeared.  I rebooted, but the problem persisted.

Uninstalling the vlc-plugin package seems to have resolved that, though.

Board footer