You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-04 06:22:32

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Screenie thread per WM/DE or one thread a month?

Following the results of this poll, it has been democratically decided that having a thread per WM/DE is better than the current method.

However, having one screenie thread per month was also proposed and supported so this new poll seeks to find the most popular approach.

The main problem I can see is practical - would we lock the old threads each month - or leave them open for people to post comments?  I think the latter but it is then up to posters to post new screenies in the new month thread!

I reckon people will be dying to get there screenie top of the month tho - I ask you, what a bunch of geeks, eh?  tongue

The poll will run for 14 days only - if you can't get your thumb out and vote by then don't complain later!

#2 2005-06-04 07:18:28

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Screenie thread per WM/DE or one thread a month?

Can I vote AND complain?
:twisted:

EDIT:
Hmm. Maybe I will try to add something useful to this post of mine here..
It seems with the addition of art.archlinux.org, posting screenshots in threads might reduce in popularity, so this may become a non-issue. I am sure we will still have people talking about screenshots and so forth..so then again...maybe this still matters...

harumph..I managed to talk myself in circles. That is what I get for trying to make sense at such a late hour.  :?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-06-04 07:21:25

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Um - depends what you want to complain about!  But i'd prefer it was at least relevant to the thread!

#4 2005-06-04 08:34:15

IceRAM
Website

Couldn't http://art.archlinux.org/ be used for all this?
Hmm.. maybe an auth backend compatible with phpBB would be nice so that users could remove their own screenshots.

#5 2005-06-04 08:38:42

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I think that art.archlinux.org is more of a place just to upload them, its still good to discuss and link to them here.

#6 2005-06-04 11:36:16

IceRAM
Website

iphitus wrote:

I think that art.archlinux.org is more of a place just to upload them, its still good to discuss and link to them here.

True, but I'd probably like to enjoy "Featured Screenshot of the month" on http://art.archlinux.org .

The forum is a great place to make announcements, but I don't think that organizing the screenshots into different threads or... something like that would be very nice. Oh, well, maybe create one thread for each WM/DE where people could tell how they created their beautiful desktop, linking to art.archlinux.org. If it is so beautiful, it should be "art", shouldn't it?

#7 2005-06-04 12:25:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

IceRAM wrote:

If it is so beautiful, it should be "art", shouldn't it?

Not yours  tongue  :twisted:

I think the the threads on the forum here are going to stay for a while, i dont like the way the gallery that has been implemented works.

Firstly theres all the crud about a 'cart' everywhere, and i can tell ya, nobody's gonna be selling screenshots.

secondly, it's not the most usable thing, theres no "show me the last 5 screenshots uploaded" nor is there an easy or obvious way to make a comment on a particular screenshot, i eventually found the add comment link.

the thread is good because it promotes discussion, ie, where'd you get that wallpaper or how'd you do that?

IMHO, coppermine would have been a better choice.
http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/
It does a much better job, it's easier to use, doesnt have cart and printing crud everywhere, and its capable of being integrated with phpbb and phpbb's user system, allowing a single sign on.

iphitus

#8 2005-06-04 12:36:47

CyberTron
Website

i too like the idea with art.archlinux.org 

i also support the idea of having threads explaining how one did make it so pretty big_smile

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#9 2005-06-04 12:47:45

IceRAM
Website

Well, I didn't say the actual gallery implemented in art.archlinux.org is great, but it's a nice idea. I think we should keep the forums for discussions and use this gallery (or a better gallery - I didn't actually play much with it, I just saw it's there).

#10 2005-06-04 15:11:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I didn't know about art.archlinux.org, but I agree that screenshot threads do not belong here.

Dusty

#11 2005-06-05 07:27:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

art.archlinux.org?  wtf was that annouced?  I watch the forums and the mailing lists!  i despair!  I'm still keeping the poll running!

#12 2005-06-05 07:28:22

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

coppermine rules by the way, dunno about the arch one...

#13 2005-06-05 08:15:14

CyberTron
Website

coppermine isgood, i have a better (mg2) but unfortunatly it is a single user gallery  (though i believe you could change thus if you are good at php

http://www.minigal.dk/

otherwise coppermine would be the best

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#14 2005-06-05 08:17:37

IceRAM
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

art.archlinux.org?  wtf was that annouced?  I watch the forums and the mailing lists!  i despair!  I'm still keeping the poll running!

apeiro mentioned it in one thread and I took it as an announcement tongue because it was said by an official of ArchLinux smile

#15 2005-06-06 03:33:12

elasticdog
Website

I too like the idea of moving the screenshots to the art subdomain and out of the forums.  Something like coppermine would be ideal so that the discussion for those screenshots could also be moved there as well.  That way the visual side of things could be handled in one area of the site, and the forums could become less poluted.

Having separate categories for the logo's, wallpaper, etc. is good, but I think the screenshots section could use a little more organization in order for it to be usable while not becoming unmanagable.

#16 2005-06-06 05:27:12

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I use a gallery to display my own screenshots and link them from the forums - that is the BEST way to do it I think - i utterly fail to see how one thread pollutes a forum?

excuse my bad mood, I am in international transit!

#17 2005-06-06 06:15:54

elasticdog
Website

I apologize...polutes was a bad choice of words.  What I was trying to say is that it would be nice/logical to have a separate place to house the visual side of all things Arch related.  That way it would be easy to reference/promote it, and it wouldn't be like a needle in a haystack as it is now.  I think that the interest is large enough (51006 views and counting) that it should be split off into another area that can be more organized and included with related items (logos, wallpaper, etc.), rather than having it become a never-ending forum thread.

#18 2005-06-06 07:33:31

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I cant stand the setup on art.archlinux.org, its shocking and doesnt replace a forum thread in any way, more it compliments it by providing a place for people who dont have a place to upload to.

Take a look at that setup. Now find a one click way to find the last ten screenshots uploaded...... cant find it can you. It's hardly easy to use, its terrible, and it requires a second signup.

IMHO the best method is to have it complimenting the screenshots, upload them there for those who need somewhere to upload them, and link them here.

That raises the other issue, I dont want to have all my screenshots hosted there, I would much rather host them myself, its much much more convenient.

And finally, I like the way a forum promotes discussion of a screenshot, what wallpaper, what theme, what torsmo, adesklet, karamba script people are using. The comment link isnt in quite the most obvious of places there, up the left of the page, I didnt notice at first and this discourages discussion.

iphitus

#19 2005-06-06 08:23:39

IceRAM
Website

Well, I guess almost everybody agrees that the backend of art.archlinux.org should be improved/changed/etc.

#20 2005-06-06 09:25:03

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

do we want another poll? smile

#21 2005-06-06 09:50:22

iphitus
Forum Fellow

i'd be more than happy to move to a coppermine based gallery, as it offers the things I want, as well as integration with phpbb, but thats not something under our control.

#22 2005-06-06 10:12:28

corky

I personally think the screenshot thread should be split on a per month basis, as these uber threads do the forum no good, also the majority of older screenshots don't even exist anymore.

Also, art.archlinux.org would be the perfect compliment (it may not be perfect, but I'm sure its not always going to be that way), as users can upload their shots there, meaning we dont have to be subjected to crappy slow, every man and there dog apache servers which aren't always up anyway.

my .5 penny   smile

mov ah, 0
int 16h

#23 2005-06-06 19:49:04

citral

Well you shouldn't remove the forum component of it all.
What I mean to say is, is that a monthly screenshot thread encourages people to update their screenshots and show the latest eye candy, while a gallery is quite static. People don't check out the gallery as often as they read the forums neither. Besides you can't force people to upload their screenshot at art.archlinux - some prefer to host their own screenshots.

JMHO

One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero,
they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.

#24 2005-06-08 14:05:51

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

looks like people are mostly in favour of monthly threads at the mo - i think this is a good choice.  as corky just said a lot of older screenies are no longer available and we can thus delete the older threads as time passes.

#25 2005-06-20 15:06:02

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

The Poll is closed - democracy prevails!

The first monthly thread has been created here and includes guidelines on how to post your screenie and use the new system

Board footer