You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-28 23:39:05

deadrabbit

KDE - Global keyboard shortcuts not working

My global keyboard shortcuts have stopped working in KDE. When I try to open "Shortcuts and Gestures" in the System Settings, it freezes, and eventually needs to be terminated. Any ideas what could be causing this? I don't see any related recent updates in my pacman.log. I'm not even sure how to go about troubleshooting this.

Thanks

#2 2011-03-29 22:17:50

deadrabbit

Re: KDE - Global keyboard shortcuts not working

Even a hint about how to start troubleshooting this problem would be greatly appreciated. I noticed today that my shortcuts work at first, but stop working after a couple of minutes.

#3 2011-03-30 17:35:05

voidux

But how KDE behaves in clean user profile? In other words try remove ~/.kde4

#4 2011-03-30 17:40:07

SS4

Alternatively you can move it.

Rauchen verboten

#5 2011-03-30 19:03:29

voidux

or create a new user for such tests

#6 2011-03-30 22:36:26

deadrabbit

Recreating the .kde4 directory fixed the problem. Luckily I was able to getting settings to open before I did it, so I could export my bazillions of keyboard shortcuts. I suppose a fresh start good once in a while. The default KDE desktop looked totally different from the last time I erased .kde4 (4.3 perhaps?), so it's not surprising that some things have broken in that time.

Thanks for the help.

#7 2011-03-31 01:09:27

deadrabbit

I guess I spoke too soon. The problem has returned, despite deleting the .kde4 directory. Any other ideas?

#8 2012-12-05 17:15:16

archey

Hi there,

First, sorry to re-up that post after such a long time.

So, for some reasons, I had the same shortcuts problem since I installed Archlinux on my computer (more than ten months ago).

Shortcuts work when I start my computer up, but after a while (and for no reasons), it just stops working.

That problem is very annoying as I have to do everything using the mouse (and for someone like me who is used to shortcuts, it's very hard..... and long).

And, today, I finally managed to get shortcuts working.

And, the problem seems to come from the Dual Screen with my Nvidia graphic card.

I don't know why, but if I unplug my TV (HDMI connexion), shortcuts just work perfectly. If I plug my TV and set X for DualView, then after a while shortcuts don't work (or very badly).

I have no idea why... also, don't know if the issue is from KDE or Nvidia (I would say KDE as sometimes, when pressing Alt+Tab, the focus goes on the desktop of the TV, and then shortcuts don't work).

Anyhow, hope this will help people having the same issue.
And, of course, if you have any idea on how to fix that problem I would be very grateful (because, I really like having my TV as a second screen).

Board footer