You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-26 01:37:17

Nacha

fluxbox and xscreensaver

Hi,

I have installed fluxbox as my wm. then I have installed xscreensaver, but when I tried to run  it does not work. in a console I receive the following message,

BScreen: :parseMenuFile: [stylesdir/stylesmenu] error, '/home/tony/.fluxbox/styles' does not exit

How can I fix it?

Thanks

#2 2003-10-26 01:38:49

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: fluxbox and xscreensaver

fluxbox doesn't work, or xscreensaver doesn't work?  How are you trying to run it (it looks like you're typing xscreensaver in a terminal, but the error message looks like a fluxbox error message)?  More data!

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-10-26 02:07:10

Nacha

Thanks Xantac,

I do not know what is wrong, because after install with pacman the xscreensaver and I go to task bar to graphic --> and click on the xscreensaver nothing happens. I looked in /home/tony/.fluxbox/menu and I found the name xscreensaver-demo in brackets. Do I have to configure something?

I read the error message in F1.

Thanks

#4 2003-10-26 02:36:12

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Ah, that error message probably doesn't have to do with xscreensaver then.

Try running xscreensaver from a terminal and see what happens.  It might be that it's loading in the background and you don't can't see anything till you run the configuration app.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2003-10-26 03:55:42

Nacha

Xentac,

I runt xscreensaver in a terminal and one of the messages that I read is,
xscreensaver.:warning: $DISPLAY is not set: defaulting to ":0.0".

How do i set $DISPLAY?

THANKS

#6 2003-10-26 05:53:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

export DISPLAY=:0

defaulting to :0.0 isn't too big of a deal, though I would wonder why it's not set.  You're starting X with 'startx' right?  Wait a minute... when I said run it in a terminal I meant like aterm, xterm, gnome-terminal, kterm, or something like that.  Something within fluxbox... not the console.

Because that's only a warning, I would bet that xscreensaver is actually starting.  After running xscreensaver in a terminal run xscreensaver-demo.  That will give you the configuration stuff.

- Blaise Pascal

#7 2003-10-26 16:07:38

Jagged

psh.. who needs screensavers... screenblanking is supported in the /etc/X11/XF86Config  smile

Nkawtg...n!

#8 2003-11-04 11:35:46

anamesa

Nacha, go to ~/.fluxbox/init.  There, the last line should read something like:

session.styleFile:   /usr/share/fluxbox/styles/Blue

or what other fluxbox style is available for that matter.

From your first post it seems that there is no pointer to styles in your ~/.fluxbox/init file, and if so, then you either have to have a styles file in your ~/.fluxbox directory, where the path to the relevant style is written or the above line in ~/.fluxbox/init. 

Try this and see what happens.  This is definitely fluxbox related. Also check /usr/share/fluxbox/styles/ to see if you have styles installed. If not, then reinstall fluxbox via "pacman -Sy fluxbox".

Board footer