You are not logged in.

#601 2011-03-28 00:11:56

badger

Re: Clyde - A better libalpm/makepkg wrapper

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

Just re-built/installed clyde-git and used it to install zotero from the AUR. It built and installed but clyde -Ql or pacman -Ql lists nothing, using -Qo /usr/bin/zotero returns that no one owns the file. Using makepkg to rebuild and pacman -Uf to install over the existing files works fine (-eg. -Ql returns installed package contents as expected). I've not yet tried -R on the inital clyde install. My clyde config is pretty standard except I'm not building in /tmp/clyde-xxx.

Thanks for clyde, it's very handy. Cheers.

#602 2011-03-28 00:55:55

sand_man

oops never mind

Last edited by sand_man (2011-03-28 00:56:45)

neutral

#603 2011-03-28 00:57:49

Kiwi

I saw that sand_man!

#604 2011-03-28 02:03:57

flan_suse

juster wrote:

I was going to change the behavior like you said earlier, to create the BuildDir directory automatically. This seemed simple but in the process I found some more bugs and more things to do... Anyways... What you said about having the [explicitly set] BuildDir inside /tmp made me think that maybe automatically mkdir-ing the BuildDir might be a good idea after all.

No need to rush on this, and it was not as big of a deal as I first thought. The reference to /var/cache/ (commented) in clyde.conf is what threw me off to begin with. I see that, as you mentioned, using the defaults (no explicit directory in clyde.conf or --builddir) will use / create /tmp/clyde-username automatically. But, I agree, it would be nice to also automatically create the builddir when explicitly specified (e.g, /tmp/clyde).

As to the earlier question (about passing makepkg arguments) is this possible with clyde as it stands currently? *I could not find anything about this on the man page, Wiki, or in the OP. I even asked in IRC. I find that passing "-c" is very useful, since it eliminates the chances of remnant files with newer builds / rebuilds of AUR PKGBUILDs. For reference from another thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 13#p888713

That is when I added

MakepkgArgs = -c

to bauerbill.conf.

* With my eyes, I probably missed it. Happens a lot.

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-03-28 02:05:50)

#605 2011-03-28 04:02:37

juster
Forum Fellow

clyde is shut down until I can track down the ghost package bug mentioned by badger. The same bug happened to me at one point but I wasn't sure if I used pacman or clyde. It's safer to assume clyde is buggy.

I bugged the Makefile so you will have to edit it to build clyde.

#606 2011-03-29 00:50:24

madek
Website

i switched to packer now, it works fine with pacman 3.5

#607 2011-03-29 15:18:08

jemadux

when i gonna install again clyde

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=909657
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
make: *** [wtf] Error 1
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

#608 2011-03-29 15:52:39

ilusi0n

jemadux wrote:

when i gonna install again clyde

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=909657
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
make: *** [wtf] Error 1
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
juster wrote:

clyde is shut down until I can track down the ghost package bug mentioned by badger. The same bug happened to me at one point but I wasn't sure if I used pacman or clyde. It's safer to assume clyde is buggy.

I bugged the Makefile so you will have to edit it to build clyde.

2 Posts above

#609 2011-03-30 03:25:17

sand_man

Kiwi wrote:

I saw that sand_man!

big_smile
I've been away for such a long time I feel like a n00b again.

neutral

#610 2011-03-30 09:47:47

iosonofabio

BUG in clyde -Qs: clyde fogets a newline character.

Observed behaviour:

[x@y~]$ sudo clyde -Qs bzip2
  core/bzip2 1.0.6-1 (base)

A high-quality data compression programcore/perl 5.12.3-1 (base)

A highly capable, feature-rich programming language[x@y~]$

Expected behaviour:

[x@y~]$ sudo clyde -Qs bzip2
  core/bzip2 1.0.6-1 (base)

A high-quality data compression programcore/perl 5.12.3-1 (base)

A highly capable, feature-rich programming language
  [x@y~]$

#611 2011-03-30 12:30:16

SanskritFritz
Website

sand_man wrote:
Kiwi wrote:

I saw that sand_man!

big_smile
I've been away for such a long time I feel like a n00b again.

Kiwi, next time QFT please, so we dont miss it! big_smile

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#612 2011-03-30 18:20:04

flan_suse

badger wrote:

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

Just re-built/installed clyde-git and used it to install zotero from the AUR. It built and installed but clyde -Ql or pacman -Ql lists nothing [...]

I can confirm this as well. Here is what I can reproduce:

If I install a local package with clyde, then -Ql will list no files. And so doing -Rs will not remove any files.

clyde -U /path/to/localpkg.tar.xz

But if I instead use pacman, then -Ql will list the files and it can also be uninstalled properly.

pacman -U /path/to/localpkg.tar.xz

This issue does not seem to occur when installing packages from the repos (-S). It only happens on locally installed packages, using -U.

I also reproduced this on repo packages that I downloaded manually and installed with -U, so this bug is not specific to AUR packages.

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-03-30 18:20:42)

#613 2011-04-01 00:27:10

juster
Forum Fellow

Wow thanks flan_suse! Because of your clear explanation I knew right away what I was doing wrong. Clyde is working again. Note that any AUR packages synced were also affected because internally, AUR packages are upgraded just like -U.

Thanks iosonofabio, I have fixed the fugly query printing.

#614 2011-04-01 01:19:28

flan_suse

Just rebuilt clyde-git, installed via pacman (just for this step), and it's working great now! I did a test on some AUR packages and locally downloaded packages from the repos, such as vlc-plugin. Back in business! Thanks juster!

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-04-01 03:15:16)

#615 2011-04-01 04:57:29

SanskritFritz
Website

Yes, thank you!

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#616 2011-04-01 09:01:13

SanskritFritz
Website

Clyde uses /etc/clyde.conf. When I change something in pacman.conf, it will not be used in clyde. How can I change that behaviour?
For example, I often use the IgnorePkg entry. Now I have to change that in both files. Am I missing something?

#617 2011-04-01 10:42:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

SanskritFritz wrote:

Clyde uses /etc/clyde.conf. When I change something in pacman.conf, it will not be used in clyde. How can I change that behaviour?
For example, I often use the IgnorePkg entry. Now I have to change that in both files. Am I missing something?

Yes you are, you can simply include pacman.conf in clyde.conf. I uninstalled clyde so I don't have the syntax anymore, but its somewhere in this thread.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#618 2011-04-01 11:48:11

SanskritFritz
Website

#619 2011-04-01 15:07:34

juster
Forum Fellow

Clyde should probably be changed to do that by default... then a clyde.conf could be included in the package.

#620 2011-04-01 16:02:38

flan_suse

juster wrote:

Clyde should probably be changed to do that by default... then a clyde.conf could be included in the package.

I agree. When I installed clyde-git, I noticed it took the contents of pacman.conf and dumped them into cylde.conf, which seems redundant. It would make more sense to append Include = /etc/pacman.conf by default.

#621 2011-04-01 19:27:27

donbex

First of all, thank you for your work.

I have been following this project for a while, using Clyde to search the AUR and Bauerbill as my main package manager. As you guessed, I have recently be forced to a full switch.
What I really miss from Clyde two (little, really) AUR related things:
1. I would like to edit all the PKGBUILDs that are going to be installed before the actual compiling of any of them (instead of editing and compiling one, then editing and compiling the second, etc).
2. it would be nice to have a switch to automatically remove unused makedependencies, mostly like makepkg's "-r" switch, though applied after building all packages. That is, if I am going to install packages "foo" and "bar", which both makedepend on package "xyzzy", Clyde shouldn't install, remove, reinstall and remove "xyzzy" (which I think would happen if it simply called makepkg with the "-r" switch).

Hope I've been clear enough.
Thank you again.

#622 2011-04-02 02:58:09

flan_suse

donbex wrote:

2. it would be nice to have a switch to automatically remove unused makedependencies, mostly like makepkg's "-r" switch, though applied after building all packages. That is, if I am going to install packages "foo" and "bar", which both makedepend on package "xyzzy", Clyde shouldn't install, remove, reinstall and remove "xyzzy" (which I think would happen if it simply called makepkg with the "-r" switch).

What you said above and passing makepkg arguments are two things I grew to love in the short time I spent with bauerbill. Would be very nice to be able to do the same with clyde.

#623 2011-04-02 18:28:52

flan_suse

I think I might have found another bug. When installing an AUR package via clyde , it is listed under "no longer used by any other package" according to clyde --stats.

Here's an example:

I do...

sudo clyde -S bleachbit

The package is built and then installed.

Then I run...

clyde --stats

I find that bleachbit is listed under "no longer used by any other package," which is incorrect, since I explicitly installed it. So I tried something else. First I removed bleachbit.

This time I manually downloaded the tarball from the AUR, and did...

makepkg -src

And finished with...

sudo clyde -U bleachbit-0.8.7-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

Now when I run clyde --stats, bleachbit is no longer listed as an unused package. The same is true if I do pacman -U on a manually built package from the AUR.

Here's what I also noticed. If I do the above manual method (tarball, makepkg, clyde -U), but then I install the same thing with clyde -S bleachbit, it will once again tell me that bleachbit is an unused package!

This happens to any package I install from the AUR with -S with clyde. I tried the same test on faenza-icon-theme and elementary-icons from the AUR.

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-04-02 18:50:07)

#624 2011-04-02 18:31:58

karol
Archivist

So which package needs bleachbit? From the pacman manpage

-D, --database
           Modify the package database. This options allows you to modify certain attributes of the installed
           packages in pacman’s database. At the moment, you can only change the install reason using --asdeps and
           --asexplicit options.

#625 2011-04-02 18:39:23

anonymous_user

The problem is that the install reason should be "Explicitly installed" but its not. Installing nd-git (AUR) using clyde I get:

Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package

Installing the same package using packer I get:

Install Reason : Explicitly installed

Board footer