You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-30 23:44:02

vanvalium

[SOLVED] Tiling wm that supports keychains and good mouse support

I hope I'm not bringing up old questions but I couldn't really find anything useful using the search

Basically I'm searching for a new tiling wm that supports a few things, namely:

Keychains, absolutely necessary, dwm and i3 didn't seem to have this feature or I overlooked it
good mouse support, hard to say when mouse support is good but configurable menus would be nice

config files that aren't written in lua, ruby or whatnot wouldn't hurt either
I'm using pekwm at the moment (screw the *boxes), an excellent wm, but it's no tiler...

looking forward to useful answers

Last edited by vanvalium (2011-04-02 00:23:34)

#2 2011-03-31 04:31:32

mjdwitt
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Tiling wm that supports keychains and good mouse support

I doubt that you're going to have much success finding a tiling manager with all of that baked in; most twms are made by minimalists and seem to eschew extra programs, unlike gnome and KDE.  You could easily install a keychain program that would be launch by your startx script (~/.xinitrc or whatever you are using).  As far as text configuration, ratpoison and scrotwm come to mind.  I haven't, however, used either of them, so I can't really recommend them.

Also, you may want to check this out: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ison_table

#3 2011-03-31 05:35:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Wouldn't xbindkeys be sufficient for keychaining? And as previously mentioned, if you want to use a tiling WM not much will be built-in. Awesome has the most built-in stuff, I think, and its still heaps less than whatever you get with Gnome, KDE, XFCE, and the big DEs.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-03-31 08:09:03

hbekel

Take a look at xchainkeys. It's a standalone program to create chained keybindings independent of wm. Works best with a wm that has good scripting support, e.g. musca. I wrote because I was in the same situation as you are, looking for a tiler that supports proper keychaining.

You might be able to use xbindkeys to set up keychains, but it won't be trivial since you'll have to write a guile scheme config file and implement the keychaining logic on your own.

Last edited by hbekel (2011-03-31 08:27:04)

#5 2011-03-31 09:58:06

vanvalium

I doubt that you're going to have much success finding a tiling manager with all of that baked in; most twms are made by minimalists and seem to eschew extra programs, unlike gnome and KDE.

yeah I know, but pekwm is also pretty minimal and supports keychains

Also, you may want to check this out: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ison_table

That was one of the pages I looked at before opening this thread here. Useful, but not in this case

hbekel wrote:

Take a look at xchainkeys. It's a standalone program to create chained keybindings independent of wm. Works best with a wm that has good scripting support, e.g. musca. I wrote because I was in the same situation as you are, looking for a tiler that supports proper keychaining.

Thanks, I'll look into that smile

You might be able to use xbindkeys to set up keychains, but it won't be trivial since you'll have to write a guile scheme config file and implement the keychaining logic on your own.

I'm pretty sure I won't have enough time and skills to do that

#6 2011-03-31 14:38:14

redden0t8

Just an idea, Awesome WM has a list of various user's configurations.  You could find one you like and use it rather than configuring it yourself.

(btw the awesome website will probably give you a certificate error in your browser, at least it always has for me)

#7 2011-03-31 20:45:22

Teshadael

If you like PekWM you could try playing with burntsushi's pytyle(2).  Then you can setup tiling and you get to keep PekWM.

#8 2011-04-01 19:46:27

vanvalium

redden0t8 wrote:

Just an idea, Awesome WM has a list of various user's configurations.  You could find one you like and use it rather than configuring it yourself.

(btw the awesome website will probably give you a certificate error in your browser, at least it always has for me)

I don't really like awesome, lua scripting and the crashing whenever I updated it were very annoying

If you like PekWM you could try playing with burntsushi's pytyle(2).  Then you can setup tiling and you get to keep PekWM.

How fast is pytyle? My pc is quite old

edit:
Just found out xmonad has a module for that big_smile
So I'm pretty sure I'll use it, wanted to try it for a while but never got to it

Last edited by vanvalium (2011-04-01 19:49:58)

#9 2011-04-01 21:55:20

Wintervenom

[i3] supports chaining using modes.

mode "chain" {
  bindsym $m+o exec notify-send 'Hello, world.'
  bindsym Escape mode default
}
bindsym $m+a mode chain

Last edited by Wintervenom (2011-04-01 22:03:09)

#10 2011-04-02 00:21:41

vanvalium

Wintervenom wrote:

[i3] supports chaining using modes.

mode "chain" {
  bindsym $m+o exec notify-send 'Hello, world.'
  bindsym Escape mode default
}
bindsym $m+a mode chain

nice, thanks, didn't know that, I really like i3 (especially the tree branch)
might look into it, although everthing is working quite well with xmonad now

marked it as solved, xmonad and i3 should be enough to play around as they both support keychains
thanks for the help

Last edited by vanvalium (2011-04-02 00:24:53)

#11 2011-04-02 01:32:02

mjdwitt
Website

vanvalium wrote:

So I'm pretty sure I'll use it, wanted to try it for a while but never got to it

I use XMonad and I love it.  I didn't think it was what you were looking for, however, given the Haskell config files.

#12 2011-04-02 10:32:51

vanvalium

mjdwitt wrote:
vanvalium wrote:

I use XMonad and I love it.  I didn't think it was what you were looking for, however, given the Haskell config files.

I know a little haskell and the config is pretty easy to set up imo, especially given the amount of documentation.

Board footer