You are not logged in.

#151 2011-04-02 04:13:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: The Canterbury Project

binskipy2u wrote:

I wish this were TRUE... maybe someone has a pipe dream of having KILLER apps instead of 20 apps doing the same thing, and KILLER distros instead of 20+ distros almost the same cept for the name and/or a few packages or tweaks that any user can google, read on a forum how to do, etc.

Seriously? One app for each task? Tell me why you're using Linux again....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#152 2011-04-02 04:24:01

frostyfrog

binskipy2u wrote:

I guess it may become the "Hour of the Linux Desktop" , I've always said while CHOICE is Linux's GREATEST strength, it's even a GREATER weakness!! 
5,000 distros, and 43% of them are 'buntu based .. Coming soon to DW.com. 

I wish this were TRUE... maybe someone has a pipe dream of having KILLER apps instead of 20 apps doing the same thing, and KILLER distros instead of 20+ distros almost the same cept for the name and/or a few packages or tweaks that any user can google, read on a forum how to do, etc.

I guess Every dev, user, noob, zealot, born outta da womb knowing linux, on IRC, any forum, or in any chatroom that can say "RTFM", "You Aint Ready For The Big Time" , "Go back to windozzze", "Ubuntu is for you' etc etc etc et'al, ad nauseum infinitum can now have a distro ALL to themselves.

I'm 40 and I hope in my lifetime Linux hits at least 10% of the userbase on the desktop, then it'll just be the "weak of the linux desktop"

Until them, I can dream and so can you.. that's my .02 now I'm Broke!

I kind of have to agree with you. I wish this was true. I'm a teenager so I might not understand fully, but if this means what I think it would have meant (which was punching a hole in Windows' and Mac's userbases, I would be all for it. smile Maybe even become a dev for it someday....... I think I'll put that in my todo list. big_smile

{arch32} {subtlewm}{Acer Aspire One AO532h}
{arch64} {Headless Server}
Grrr! 400 char limit sad

#153 2011-04-02 06:07:59

samuvuo

uh8myzen wrote:

2) Read it and thought... crap! I finally find a distro I wanna marry and now its gonna go all OpenSUSE on me...

With you on this one!

#154 2011-04-02 09:14:07

Pierre
Developer
Website

For reference, here is a copy of the Canterbury home page: https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/canterbury/

#155 2011-04-02 10:24:41

amrdarwish

i have an idea

why we not make the great linux installer we need this we need the end of some thing have name deb or rbm or gz or any we need one installer can install all them we need linux to in evrry home and so the its the way there no company will make prgram for deb and for rm and need to to give the soece code for other distro
its must that we have one installer maybe they think me crazy but if we need it easy and we need it in every home we have to work togther to end story of windows in evry home and we have to say welcome linux i trust just you

إذا الشّعْبُ  يَوْمَاً  أرَادَ   الْحَيَـاةَ          فَلا  بُدَّ  أنْ  يَسْتَجِيبَ   القَـدَر
وَلا بُـدَّ  لِلَّيـْلِ أنْ  يَنْجَلِــي               وَلا  بُدَّ  للقَيْدِ  أَنْ   يَـنْكَسِـر
وَمَنْ  لَمْ  يُعَانِقْهُ  شَوْقُ  الْحَيَـاةِ          تَبَخَّـرَ  في  جَوِّهَـا   وَانْدَثَـر
  فَوَيْلٌ  لِمَنْ  لَمْ   تَشُقْـهُ   الْحَيَاةُ           مِنْ   صَفْعَـةِ  العَـدَم  المُنْتَصِر

#156 2011-04-02 10:41:56

goetzkluge
Website

As far as I know, Microsoft intends to join the Canterbury Project too.

#157 2011-04-02 10:57:45

boomshalek

mann138 wrote:

At first I went all WTF, then I realized Aprils Fool and then I went to "what if?"...

Exactly what happend to me. It's worth a thought ...

#158 2011-04-02 11:08:17

Dannny

anonymous_user wrote:
Dannny wrote:

The point of having the different distros is so everyone can have what suits them anyway, right? Doesn't combining them all defeat the purpose?

Of course however having so many different choices of distros is a mixed blessing. If you know what you want, you can probably narrow down the choices easily. If you don't know, then its a lot of distro hopping for you. And then theres the developer POV. Having to make their software work on multiple distros and deciding how to distribute it.

Thats the Linux way! If it wasn't like that it wouldn't be so attractive to even its small userbase now.

Please put your pants back on, man, I feel weird having to ask twice.

#159 2011-04-02 11:10:34

goetzkluge
Website

boomshalek wrote:
mann138 wrote:

At first I went all WTF, then I realized Aprils Fool and then I went to "what if?"...

I like diversity, e.g. the choice between something like Arch for myself and Linux Mint for friends&family who just want to surf, work with emails etc.

#160 2011-04-02 13:34:17

DustinCasler

I wonder how long the CANT package manager will work? I doubt i'll use ever use it again but I still haven't removed it for some reason......

#161 2011-04-02 14:39:33

Zibi1981

So is this an April Fool's Day joke, or not?

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#162 2011-04-02 14:43:49

Cosmin

Zibi1981 wrote:

what do you think?

#163 2011-04-02 14:59:03

renuvio

Zibi1981 wrote:

The Canterbury Project isn't a joke, is just another example of vaporware...

tongue

#164 2011-04-02 15:06:56

karol
Archivist

#165 2011-04-02 15:28:43

ewaller
Administrator

I usually ignore the internet on 4/1.  There are a lot of people out there who think they are funny.  I don't often share the collective sense of humor.

The Canterbury distribution, on the other hand, was shear brilliance and was well executed.  Kudos to all involved.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#166 2011-04-02 16:01:12

DustinCasler

Yeah. Anyone can put a phony story up, like lady gahgah endorsing ubuntu or Paula Deen going Vegan. But you have to admit The Canterbury Distribution prank was pretty creative and extensive.

#167 2011-04-02 16:03:26

kveras

goetzkluge wrote:
boomshalek wrote:
mann138 wrote:

I like diversity, e.g. the choice between something like Arch for myself and Linux Mint for friends&family who just want to surf, work with emails etc.

I can agree with both of you. While it is nice with diversity, if done right - it could be brilliant. Imagine the installer asking the first question: "Are you a system administrator or a regular user?" If the answer would be user then you would get a setup much like LinuxMint without further questions. However, when answering admin you would get a whole range of options on how much you would like to fine tune your system. Being everything from Gentoo style to Debian style. All with one single packagemanager and one set of packages.

#168 2011-04-02 17:08:36

anonymous_user

Dannny wrote:

Thats the Linux way! If it wasn't like that it wouldn't be so attractive to even its small userbase now.

I did say it was a mixed blessing. Its both good and bad.

#169 2011-04-02 18:13:53

kyla
Website

Bravo to everyone, I don't think I've ever found an april fools day joke this funny before big_smile

#170 2011-04-02 19:09:50

uh8myzen

Thanks, I needed that!.  Classic! smile

#171 2011-04-02 19:21:35

disastrophe

Heh heh. Very droll indeed. Had me going for a few yesterday. At first I was having visions of Slack and BSD installations, then I thought about the date and how silly it all sounded and I got a good laugh. I would sure feel better if they would pull the announcement off of the main page though.   hmm

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." ~ Voltaire

#172 2011-04-02 20:15:52

syltman

http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110401
wasn't all that obvious whether it was real or not until I read that they said it was fake, this sounded really awesome and I'm sad that it didn't  turn out to be real sad

#173 2011-04-02 23:43:28

algorythm

ewaller wrote:

I usually ignore the internet on 4/1. There are a lot of people out there who think they are funny.  I don't often share the collective sense of humor.

+1 on this. It's true even on this thread.

frostyfrog wrote:
binskipy2u wrote:

I guess it may become the "Hour of the Linux Desktop" , I've always said while CHOICE is Linux's GREATEST strength, it's even a GREATER weakness!! 
5,000 distros, and 43% of them are 'buntu based .. Coming soon to DW.com. 

I guess Every dev, user, noob, zealot, born outta da womb knowing linux, on IRC, any forum, or in any chatroom that can say "RTFM", "You Aint Ready For The Big Time" , "Go back to windozzze", "Ubuntu is for you' etc etc etc et'al, ad nauseum infinitum can now have a distro ALL to themselves.

I'm 40 and I hope in my lifetime Linux hits at least 10% of the userbase on the desktop, then it'll just be the "weak of the linux desktop"

Until them, I can dream and so can you.. that's my .02 now I'm Broke!

I kind of have to agree with you. I wish this was true. I'm a teenager so I might not understand fully, but if this means what I think it would have meant (which was punching a hole in Windows' and Mac's userbases, I would be all for it. smile Maybe even become a dev for it someday....... I think I'll put that in my todo list. big_smile

Frankly, I myself care not how many users linux has now, after a year or after 10 years. I don't care if the Nvidia driver is closed source, that games and multimedia software such as Crysis 2 and Photoshop are mostly being made with Windows in mind and so forth.

As long as Arch stays as it is and Windows/Mac/or-even-Ubuntu fanboys keep the _hell_ out of my face: all is good.

ps. what binskipy2u wrote did not really sound like someone who's 40 years old.

“Talent you can bloom. Instinct you can polish.”  — Haikyuu!! (adapted)
“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

#174 2011-04-03 18:06:33

nomorewindows

Here's an April Fool's Joke...anyone remember this one?
W I N D O W S going open source...
Now we all can have a good laugh

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#175 2011-04-03 20:35:16

I'mGeorge

syltman wrote:

http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110401
wasn't all that obvious whether it was real or not until I read that they said it was fake, this sounded really awesome and I'm sad that it didn't  turn out to be real sad

He he I have to say that was one elaborated joke. Well they all collaborated in doing it that's for sure

I've first installed Arch in March

Board footer