You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-31 07:17:06

student975

lts - what does it mean exactly?

I mean kernel26-lts. What is "long"? What is "support"? What is a policy of a backporting?

And, in particular, more concrete context. I have home NAS running AL with kernel26. AL is installed onto flash stick, and NAS is equipped with RAID1. Probably it is more reasonably to use kerne26-lts. Will kernel switching be safe? (I have ssh access only to the NAS)

"I exist" is the best myth I know..

#2 2011-03-31 07:21:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: lts - what does it mean exactly?

The definition of "lts" is given by upstream.   This is a kernel version that various distributions have an interest in supporting for a longer time than the kernel developers would other do, so there are volunteers that keep maintaining those version.  Exactly what "longterm" means probably depends on the distributions using that kernel and how long their support will be...

#3 2011-03-31 07:28:54

student975

Allan wrote:

The definition of "lts" is given by upstream.   This is a kernel version that various distributions have an interest in supporting for a longer time than the kernel developers would other do, so there are volunteers that keep maintaining those version.  Exactly what "longterm" means probably depends on the distributions using that kernel and how long their support will be...

I imagine common sense, but would be happy to understand more concrete, and in AL context.

"I exist" is the best myth I know..

#4 2011-03-31 07:49:41

karol
Archivist

Some ideas about LTS in general http://rfs.studiosprocket.com/b/?p=68

#5 2011-04-03 14:25:59

atm

Allan wrote:

If you have time on your hands, you can watch how kernels are actually developed though the mention of LTS is very small and is precisely what Allan has said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2SED6sewRw

Board footer