You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-03 23:05:08

trc
Website

Is there a way to force kmix to use pulseaudio? [SOLVED]

I am using pulseaudio and the phonon-vlc backend, most of the time Kmix will use pulseaudio, but on some occasions I will reboot and kmix will be using alsa (it will show up as Master instead of Internal Audio Analog Stereo) and I have to kill kmix and restart kmix in order for Kmix to control pulseaudio again.

I was wondering if maybe there is something I can put into kmixs config file to always force pulseaudio in kmix

Last edited by trc (2012-01-21 10:31:25)

~trc

#2 2011-04-04 00:04:42

Claj

Re: Is there a way to force kmix to use pulseaudio? [SOLVED]

On System Settings->Multimedia->Phonon select the PulseAudio Device and click the button Prefer to prefer Pulseaudio over Alsa.
Then, restart kmix.

#3 2011-04-04 00:15:40

trc
Website

Yeah, I don't see anything like that. This is what mine looks like.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6739/snapshot2vr.png

~trc

#4 2011-04-04 00:35:47

Claj

Try install pulseaudio-alsa and remove kmix configuration (delete ~/.kde4/share/config/kmixrc and ~/.kde4/share/config/kmixctrlrc).
Then, restart kmix.

#5 2011-04-04 00:39:39

trc
Website

I have done that before, I was hoping there was some line i could add in the kmix configuration files to make sure it uses pulseaudio. hmm

~trc

#6 2011-04-05 02:00:30

trc
Website

Well, after some investigation and not finding much of anything, I noticed that my kmixrc in ~/.kde4/share/config/ had a line like this

DefaultCardOnStart=

I changed that line to

DefaultCardOnStart=PulseAudio

If after a few days I notice the issue has gone away I'll mark this thread as solved.

~trc

#7 2011-04-05 13:38:56

trc
Website

yeah, rebooted today and it reset

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/7605/snapshot5c.png

I wonder whats up with that

If nobody knows what is up I'll just write a tiny startup script that closes and restarts kmix and forget about the problem lol

Last edited by trc (2011-04-05 13:49:06)

~trc

#8 2012-01-20 10:19:13

Otamay

I've had the same problem for almost one year. The problem is that kmix starts before pulseaudio does, so kmix only have access to primary volume control.

KDE4 startup applications are stored in /usr/share/autostart, /etc/xdg/autostart and ~/.kde4/Autostart. The first directory contains the system programs that must be loaded, and the second and third directories contains user applications. KMix, when installed, stores kmix_autostart.desktop and restore_kmix_volumes.desktop in /usr/share/autostart, and pulseaudio stores pulseaudio-kde.desktop under /etc/xdg/autostart directory.

Moving /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop and /usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop to /etc/xdg/autostart seems to solve the problem, allowing to pulseaudio start before kmix.

A delay of almost 9 months jajaja. That was a very frustrating problem.

#9 2012-01-21 10:31:01

trc
Website

wow, I'm not using KDE right now but i'll trust that you're solution is correct, nice work

~trc

#10 2012-02-15 17:52:12

bugatxu

Otamay wrote:

I've had the same problem for almost one year. The problem is that kmix starts before pulseaudio does, so kmix only have access to primary volume control.

KDE4 startup applications are stored in /usr/share/autostart, /etc/xdg/autostart and ~/.kde4/Autostart. The first directory contains the system programs that must be loaded, and the second and third directories contains user applications. KMix, when installed, stores kmix_autostart.desktop and restore_kmix_volumes.desktop in /usr/share/autostart, and pulseaudio stores pulseaudio-kde.desktop under /etc/xdg/autostart directory.

Moving /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop and /usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop to /etc/xdg/autostart seems to solve the problem, allowing to pulseaudio start before kmix.

A delay of almost 9 months jajaja. That was a very frustrating problem.

Ufff thank you, finally I solved my issue.

I had done what u say but it didn't work. So, I moved too /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio* to /usr/share/autostart/ and I got it.
The files I moved are pulseaudio-kde.desktop and pulseaudio.desktop.

Thank you !!!

#11 2013-04-03 23:49:16

rael_gc

Otamay wrote:

Ok, this is a old topic, but in case someone is googling this... I have KDE 4.10 and this solved my delay after login. My system was freezing about 20 seconds just waiting for kmix. Now it's working fine!

Last edited by rael_gc (2013-04-04 12:13:24)

Board footer