You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-04 02:22:46

SedaliaSteve

Got Arch Working on a Shuttle Desktop

I've been using a Shuttle Prima XPC SP35 P2 as a music server. It had been running Ubuntu but the Intel 82801I ICH9 chipset always had problems with HD audio. I used OSS  but it kept getting broken by updates since.

I had been running it as a 1T RAID 1. For Arch I added a spare 250G drive as the boot. I built an ISO disk and installed it with all the packages on the CD. It booted fine and I gradually built it up. I chose Gnome since I'm used to it.

Once I had a GUI I added the RAID drives back. I was able make it an automount disk and keep all the data. I had already backed it up to a replacement disk but this was great. I modified the user accounts to have most of their data directory soft linked onto the RAID.

I did run into network problems while doing the install. It just wasn't playing well with my DSL gateway which handles DHCP. The DNS was flaky, even though it had the same config I use on some Ubuntu laptops. I configured it to use the Open DNS servers and set it to not over write resolv.conf and all went well.

I had been using Songbird so I installed it. It's shame about them dropping Linux but it will do until Nightingale comes out. With OSS it sounds great off the optical SPDIF. I used the older nVidia drivers for video and they work well. My samba shares are still flaky but it is almost there and working great. It took up some time but I now have a solid system I can use and now can get into the fine tuning.

I was thinking about going back to an old unsupported Ubuntu to keep the sound but I am very glad I chose Arch.

Steve

#2 2011-04-04 02:40:03

Stebalien
Website

Re: Got Arch Working on a Shuttle Desktop

And your question is...? You appear to be a little lost; this is the technical issues and support section.
You may be looking for https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=32421.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Board footer