You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-02 01:40:45

DasFox

aplay -l Doesn't Show Any HDMI - Sound Works A Little...

Running Arch i686 with the latest Nvidia drivers and a GeForce 8400GS and I plugged in the spdif wire to my card and motherboard
and I noticed the sound started working after I unmuted the spdif in alsamixer but there's some slight static in the sound and when I
try to watch a video the sound will cut out every so often...

Not sure how to get the sound quality any better, been looking for solutions online and tried a few but no success, this is what aplay -l shows;

[sar@arch ~]$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

THANKS

12 Year Linux Vet, Don't Let The Post Count Fool Ya! But Sure I Don't Know Everything, Who Does? That's Why I Ask. smile

#2 2011-04-04 17:13:54

manzdagratiano

Re: aplay -l Doesn't Show Any HDMI - Sound Works A Little...

I have had a similar problem. The corresponding effort in Ubuntu requires me to first set Twinview with nvidia settings, and then edit the sound preferences and change the hardware to the HDMI Digital, and everything works flawlessly. "aplay -l" does not list any HDMI devices in Ubuntu as well, though one of the three listed must be it (I do not have that machine with me at the moment). In Arch however, there is no corresponding option to switch the sound hardware. I would like to be able to have the same setup in Arch, but I do not yet know how to get a sound preferences manager like the one in Ubuntu. In Arch, as far as I know, there is no switching for global sound settings to go from one hardware to another, and I do not want to use the messy approach of creating a file to globally use another hardware, and then removing/renaming it to revert back each time. Also, in alsa, there is no option to mute the internal sound card but keep the hdmi - either both are muted or neither... so bummer!

Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Board footer