You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-04 11:48:31

normal2
Website

How to stop sound from specific application(s)?

I heard something about "pavucontrol" which allows a user to manualy decide which application will output sound.
Now, I downloaded it and since I am using alsa it won't work; therefore I cannot mute an annoying or loud application, without having to mute everything else.

Anyone has an idea or a way to let a user to choose which application can output sound?

Thanks!

Implode.

#2 2011-04-04 12:16:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: How to stop sound from specific application(s)?

pavucontrol is a component of pulseaudio. Use that if you want to use it. OSSv4 also allows per-app volume control.

And before you ask me 'how', go search the wiki/google for instructions on setting either of the above up, then only come here if you have problems that you can't solve by searching.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-04-04 13:21:10

eldragon

depending on the app, you can choose /dev/null as the sound output device wink

#4 2011-04-04 14:44:48

normal2
Website

Everything works except the headphones are playing the sound paralel to speakers; would you give me instructions on how to fix this issue?

Implode.

#5 2011-04-04 14:47:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

normal2 wrote:

Everything works except the headphones are playing the sound paralel to speakers; would you give me instructions on how to fix this issue?

No, because you don't specify what works. Whether you're using pulseaudio or OSS or even still using alsa. What instructions you've followed (and how closely you've followed them). What you've already tried.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-04-04 14:57:54

normal2
Website

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
Arch Linux forum search for "headphone pulse audio"
Google search on "headphone pulseaudio"

Basically sound works, except that the speakers are working with headphones.
I tried to funk around with mixer settings, hoping it will somehow fix the problem, but nothing so far.

Do you need any console outputs?

I forgot to mention:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6031064/Random% … edhead.png

Headphone is constantly muted; even when I change "Internal Audio" in volume control.

Edit:
I have found a config in Sound Preferences which disables speakers and enables headphones; but it is not automatic, and when I disconnect the headphones I can't hear anything through speakers and have to manually add speakers again.

The following settings enable headphones to ouput sound on their own:

In the "Hardware" tab, profile is set to "Analog Stereo Output".
"Output" tab has connector setting to "Analog Headphones".

Alsamixer has to be run to unmute and change the volume on channel "Front".

Last edited by normal2 (2011-04-04 15:36:00)

Implode.

#7 2011-04-04 15:35:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Speakers are working with headphones means they're both outputting sound at the same time? Or that only the speakers work (even with headphone plugged in)?

And there's a known bug with some alsa drivers which causes the first, are you using a hda_intel based chip? If its the second, then you'd need to provide more detailed hardware information.

#8 2011-04-04 15:43:21

normal2
Website

Speakers work all the time, headphones work only on certain hardware profile settings.

[speakers]|-------|---------|-----|----------|----------|------|--------|                  |  [speakers]
[headpho]|-------|            |-----|            |----------|        |--------|--------------|  [headph]

Each segment represents one change in the Sound Preferences. Currently I am able to listen through headphones, but the system doesn't automatically switch to speakers after I disconnect the headphones.

[normal@normalra_0932 ~]$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Last edited by normal2 (2011-04-04 15:53:05)

Implode.

#9 2011-04-05 00:32:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

This would be an issue related to your specific chipset then. You probably have to modprobe your module with some specific options. You can either google your model number (use the lspci results, more detailed) or ask directly on the PA mailing list, since this is above my technical level.

Board footer